GoPro 10 Cave or really really dark setting presets?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Merida Cave Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm just curious what everyone is using. I'm running 5.3k, 30fps, iso min 100, max 400. It seems to work alright but not perfect. I changed the smoothness to boost and it actually looks shaky? I also have zero experience with a gopro.

For open water GoPro9, I'm using 4K 60fps, wide, Boost, Bit rate High, shutter auto, ISO 100 to 800, sharpness Medium, Color GoPro.

In your case I would increase the ISO max to 800. I'm not sure about the fps, 30 may be better in dark conditions-- you can experiment. And no red filter. Use a tray if your clips are shaky. Use good wide angle video lights.

Higher ISO and then an expensive noise reduction tool in post processing might do it for you…

Option 2 - a few lighting assistant divers crammed and pinned to the roof of the cave holding reflectors and diffusers to light up the darker areas of the cave… :acclaim:

A couple interesting notes. I'm finding that leaving ISO to auto works well for me, and filming in 1080 at 60fps.

Yes I did try 30fps but had a lot of "noise" in the blacks (keep in mind I'm caving)
I did try filming in 4k but the camera overheats which apparently is common. I ended up getting about 40 minutes but I don't seem to have any issues with 1080.

Lots of lights... that does seem to be a good solution. I have a video coming out next week with my new filming rig and I have to say that I love it. I think I may need to turn my lights down actually because I'm getting a blue'ish tinge like it's almost too bright.

You can see a bunch of my stuff on youtube under Merida Cave Diver but there's a couple things with lights... not all situations you want wide beams, some the torch light is great, others it's too dark and narrow, so I don't quite have the perfect answer / solution yet.

Hope this helps

A couple interesting notes. I'm finding that leaving ISO to auto works well for me, and filming in 1080 at 60fps.

Yes I did try 30fps but had a lot of "noise" in the blacks (keep in mind I'm caving)
I did try filming in 4k but the camera overheats which apparently is common. I ended up getting about 40 minutes but I don't seem to have any issues with 1080.

Lots of lights... that does seem to be a good solution. I have a video coming out next week with my new filming rig and I have to say that I love it. I think I may need to turn my lights down actually because I'm getting a blue'ish tinge like it's almost too bright.

You can see a bunch of my stuff on youtube under Merida Cave Diver but there's a couple things with lights... not all situations you want wide beams, some the torch light is great, others it's too dark and narrow, so I don't quite have the perfect answer / solution yet.

Hope this helps

How fast did it overheat in 4k? What case if any are you using?

That's a lot of video for one dive. I only film interesting stuff I see and use 20-30 second clips, but I keep my display screen on all the time. My final video for a dive is just a few minutes long and I film at 4K 60fps.
Yeah, I do agree with you. The purpose of my videos are for people to run in the background and chill. Mood music, relaxation, and some cool stuff. Very few of my viewers watch the entire clip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom