Gooseberry Island Newport, RI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AfterDark

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Does anyone have any information on history about Gooseberry Island? I've found naval type equipment and such there in the past. Did the navy use this island?
I'm using my DPV to dive there Sunday.

Does anyone have any information on history about Gooseberry Island? I've found naval type equipment and such there in the past. Did the navy use this island?

They used the area of Prices's neck extensively. There was an AA training battery there during WW 2. We went there last Saturday after diving the LH. Vis wasn't great but there were alot of fish including two Butterflyfish

You better pick another spot for Sunday. the prediction is for 4-7 ft swells. NG

Well that explains the spent and unspent 40MM AA rounds and AA helmet I've found there. I aborted those dive plans. I'm working Sat night so Sunday wasn't the ideal day to do a dive of the duration I planned. I'm usually pretty tired after working all night. It's been there for 12,000 years it'll be there next weekend. I'm concerned about the water getting too cold to do the dive wet. All these rough ocean conditions are mixing the colder bottom water with the warmer surface water bringing the surface water temps lower. I think the ocean is going to get colder sooner this year regardless of how warm it was earlier.

what are temps now at Wetherill? I have a group of scouts snorkeling/diving this weekend. We're camping out at Ft. Getty. Hope some tropicals still left???

I don't spend much time at Wetherill itself but the Temps in Rhode Island Sound are still very comfortable. There will be tropicals to see right to end of October as long as we don't get a really bad storm(even that might not change things too much).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom