Goog Diving Spots in Florida Springs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike11

Reaction score
All of my diving has been in salt water down in West Palm Beach, Vanderbilt Beach, and in the Florda Keys, and along places along the Florida costline (no kidding, I actually live in the place they call Florida). I have never been diving in fresh water, and I am possibly going to the springs near Ocala, Florida in 1 week. My question to you is: Do any of you know any good spots to dive in the Florida Springs? I wont be doing any cave diving because I am not yet certified to do that JUST YET, so keep that in mind.

Mike

Oh yea, go down to West Palm, the wrecks there are great! The viz last weekend was 65-80ft, with a thermocline of 71 degreeds Farinheit (or so they say...)

Try Ned DeLoach's Diving Guide to Underwater Florida. It's a great book that gives both salt AND freshwater dive sites.

Good luck with your cert & welcome to the wonderful world of diving! :)

~SubMariner~

Hi Mike,

Let me try this again, I know I posted this the other day but it disappeared. You might want to check out Gennie Springs. They have several dives sites on site and range from a very safe cavern to a full cave. You can get some experience in a cavern and look at an enterance to a cave system. They will not allow you to take lights into the dive that has the cave enterence so you don't even have the chance to think about going in. If you do go to Gennie, here is a very useful piece of advice, if at all possible, go to the park the evening before you intend to dive and sign up for the next day. That way you can be done with the first dive before most everyone else gets through the signup process. It gets to be a zoo at the desk at opening time. The Underwater Fla. book in the last post is a must have, it is great.

One of the reasons the caves beckon so loudly is the paucity of "really interesting stuff" in the typical spring bowl.. I recommend you sign up for a cavern course right away to enjoy the springs - and a cavern course is *great* for learning skills you can use in all your diving.
Did I mention I think a cavern course is a great idea?
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom