goofy question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Toothpaste (like Crest) works wonders, only be SURE to not use a mint or other highly aromatic toothpaste.

Why Not? Question Answered in early posting - ignore

Thank you ScubaBoard. When my dealer told me to clean it with plain Crest toothpaste, I thought he was crazy. A quick look here again has helped me out. This is a great place for exchange of information. Again thanks.:D

Toothpaste is the most popular of the cleaners. However, depending on the mask it may work or not. The glass lens of some masks are hydrophobic. The reason for this is not clear but might have something to do with the process of manufacturing the glass. If it is a coating, it is not silicone because solvents known to cut silicone are ineffective in improving the glass' wetting ability. Without wetting, droplets will form; another name for droplets is fog. The two Promate/Swift frameless masks that I bought would not respond to any of numerous separate treatments using pastes, soaps, vinegar, alcohol and detergent. Toothpaste and baby shampoo were laughably ineffective. Finally, I was able to improve the glass by vigorous cleaning and polishing with a liquid rubbing compound made for fiberglass boats. This was a permanent fix. Other stuff like toothpaste and shampoo deposit a hydrophilic film on the mask which is good for an hour or two; after that, the fog starts again. Some divers have reported success through burning the glass with a match or lighter. Upon verification that the mask will not fog, then, thereafter, all that is needed is a spit rinse at the dive site and the mask will not fog for the rest the day. This is because the mask has been "broken in", so to speak.

After you do the mask with toothpaste, remove all residue with alcohol. Wash in fresh water. Spit in the lens. Wash again. Exhale into the lens and watch for fog. If a little fog is formed and disappears immediately the mask is good to go. If patches of fog form and persist, the treatment failed.

About your dealer's comments; it is hard to say if he has direct knowledge of that brand of mask and how to clean it or if he is just repeating something he read on Scubaboard. I will add that there are about 20 threads on SB dealing with this subject.

Mint is an aromatic. Sensitive eyes will tear during the ENTIRE dive if there is any trace left. No use in having a clear mask if your eyes become a problem.

Then add Tobradex gtts.---to the eyes that is---about bid will work.....

Thanks for the info. The mask I ended up buying is the Tusa M-14. It seems to fit me well. I do not know anything about brand names yet, so it Tusa a good equipment?

Tusa is generally respected. However, about 10 years ago, there was a problem with the buckles breaking. I observed this twice on one model, a Tusa low volume mask with twin panes. The buckles were made from a grey plastic. A similar Apollo mask had the same problem.

pescador775,

you mentioned this treatment varied by mask manufacture. the dealer told me to use Crest on a Mares Liquid Skin. is crest the correct break-in treatment for this brand of mask? Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom