goofy question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hdtrip2004

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
new to diving, just bought a new mask. I know this is a goofy question, but what should I use to clean the glass? is there anything I should not use, in the way of glass cleaners? thank you, Joe

toothpaste works wonders, the small abrasiveness will remove any silicone (and other) manufacturing debris from the glass. just put some on the inside and rub away, you can be pretty aggresive, give it a good rinse and you should be ready to go. If it starts fogging on you, you need to repeat, of course some decent defog will help too.

I don't know about using glass cleaners, but I would guess that none of them are good for the silicone skirts so I would avoid them

Here on Scuba Board, you should feel free to ask any question. There is no such thing as a "goofy question". :D

I have had my mask for 5+ years and have almost 300 dives on it and I have never cleaned it with anything other than spitting in it and wiping it down before a dive, and rinsing it well after. Then once a year or so, I have to take the lenses out to clean in behind them but the lenses themselves stay pretty clean. So, I would say there is no need to wash it with anything (except the initial toothpaste wash if you so choose.....I chose not to personally and have only fogged a couple of times)

Last edited:
Toothpaste is used to remove the oily coating the manufacturer puts on the masks to protect the silicone during shipping. This can apparently cause fogging if not removed. Also, you want to use regular paste-type toothpaste, not gel, which isn't abrasive enough.

This depends on the mask, actually!

Toothpaste (like Crest) works wonders, only be SURE to not use a mint or other highly aromatic toothpaste. Work it over the inside of the mask lens DRY. Really work it in. Add a drop or two of water to either lens and re-work it. Rinse, rinse, rinse! Let the mask soak up side down in very warm water for 15-20 minutes and rinse again.

Some manufacturers ask you to NOT do this though, so check the literature with your mask. :D

This depends on the mask, actually!

Toothpaste (like Crest) works wonders, only be SURE to not use a mint or other highly aromatic toothpaste. Work it over the inside of the mask lens DRY. Really work it in. Add a drop or two of water to either lens and re-work it. Rinse, rinse, rinse! Let the mask soak up side down in very warm water for 15-20 minutes and rinse again.

Some manufacturers ask you to NOT do this though, so check the literature with your mask. :D

Thanks for the clarification and much better instructions.

Why not mint, though? I've used minty toothpaste before, and didn't have a problem. I kinda liked how it made my mask smell.

Mint is an aromatic. Sensitive eyes will tear during the ENTIRE dive if there is any trace left. No use in having a clear mask if your eyes become a problem.

Got it!

And we all know there's no crying in baseball or scuba--at least there shouldn't be!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom