Good winter diving in Texas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vintagediver is being nice!
Four floors with your gear and your wives! The wetsuit weighs more and everything is wet. Not to mention these are construction stairs and not some mambi pambi stairs but steps that make your legs burn...
Drysuit is good, sidemount is better and if they ever put in an electric lift then the site will be a lot more fun.

Then again good friends and a cookout afterwards goes along way.

Andrew

Well. It is about a 30minute drive to DFW airport from Dallas. From there you can be in Cozumel in a couple of hours. The water is warm and clear.

Also don't forget the Gulf. I personally consider driving distance to be within a 12hr range, cause that is what you can do in a day. Wich puts me in Pensacola FL if I go east, blue hole in NM if I go west (spring fed, const temp), Colorado if I go NW (ice diving). Bonne Terra Mine near St. Louis is abot 12hrs.

Warm is somewhat relative,
Personally, I have a dry suit. So I don't really care what the water temp is.

But cozumel or Florida would be your best bets beyond Balmorhea, Comal River and Aquarena.

Just got back from Balmorhea yesterday. It was 8.5 hours from Houston but completely worth the drive. The air temp was 85 and the water was 75. Crystal clear water. There were divers there from New Mexico, Abilene, Lubbock and El Paso. The spring flows at a peak of 1 million gallons an hour and the life is abundant. Depth is a max of 20' but with so much aquatic life I really didn't mind. We stayed at El Oso Flojo in Balmorhea - great folks and diver friendly. Park facilities have full hot showers and dressing rooms. Did get some feedback from a diver staying in one of the park service cabins - he was not real happy - said it was dirty and full of wasps.

Also don't forget the Gulf. I personally consider driving distance to be within a 12hr range, cause that is what you can do in a day. Wich puts me in Pensacola FL if I go east, blue hole in NM if I go west (spring fed, const temp), Colorado if I go NW (ice diving). Bonne Terra Mine near St. Louis is abot 12hrs.

second that. there's a number of gulf rigs/wrecks within a days drive. also check out guba's trip report to destin from september http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/texas-swamp-divers/353126-headed-destin.html?highlight=destin and bonne terre is one-of-a-kind diving that's doable in a 5mm (if you're tolerant).

Back
Top Bottom