Good source for Bare TRILAM HD TECH DRY? Also question on boot 4mm vs 7mm? >>

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJP

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
2005 catalog says 7mm boot, 2006 says 4mm boot.

What's the practical difference, given likelihood of wearing something underneath anyway?

Any other differences besides boots between 2005 and 2006 models?

Thanks in advance - Ray

PMs welcome eyebrow

Check in with Richard at DiveTank.com.

the K

The 2006 (and late 2005) boots are slimmer and easier to fit in fins. Your are correct that it really shouldn't make any difference in warmth if your wearing proper footware underneath.

Paul

The vulcanized rubber boots are an abomination that prohibit all ankle flexibility and make it close to impossible to do any kick but a flutter and poorly executed frog kick. Additionally, due to the cavernous size of them and thick neoprene they are extrordinarily buoyant making it near impossible to hold good trim without constantly finning (the new boots may be slightly better in this regard, I do not know).

Do yourself a favor, get the soft socks and then order a turbo sole from DUI to mount to the sock. Or, get the soft socks and buy a set of low-top chucks and use them as pseudo-rockboots, but keep the ankles.

I bought my suit from DiveSource.com and had good luck and prices from them.

The boots are better now, still a litttle chunky, but less so than last year. They shaved rubber off the sides to make them narrower and made the rubber shorter on the ankles for more flexibiltiy. I would say we sell about 70% with a hardsole boot and 30% with a sock and a trek boot. It's a personal preference thing.

Paul

Glad to hear they have made improvement. I really like my ATR, but the boots had to go. When I finally lopped them off, I discovered I really could do all the kicks just fine, but the boots were preventing me from doing them.

pgdive:
The boots are better now, still a litttle chunky, but less so than last year.

Paul - do the new 4mm boots have the fin tab to keep the strap from sliding down?

Thanks - Ray

They still have the ridge in the back to hold the strap.

Paul

I bought my Bare Trilam HD from Richard at www.divetank.com
Don't order off the site! Call Richard and talk to him personally. He will help you with any fitting issues, answer the questions you posed above, and give you a better deal than the advertised price on his site. Know your measurements and needs in advance, and you may just have a suit in the mail that day! Shipping is free.

Yeah, Richard at Dive Tank gets two thumbs up. We spoke nearly everyday prior to placing my order...he's a wealth of information. Within 13 days of placing the order (including options), my BARE XCD2 Tech Dry was delivered...time to get wet!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom