Good site for surf report?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sea nmf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey,

Now that shore diving season is upon us, (yeah, I know . . . .) I was wondering if anyone had a good link to surf forecasts so I can better plan my north shore diving.

Also, I'm usually up to dive every weekend in the summer so if any of you need a buddy, let me know. We can do the introductions by PM, etc.

Thanks! -becky

i use this one...
http://www.surfnewsnetwork.com/index-lite.php

the forecasts are on top... and if you scroll down are that day's current observed condtions.
and when you're on the road... you can call in for it too... 596-SURF

plus, the weather and wind forecast and current observations are near the bottom.

Hey how do you interpret this site? oooh, but I do like the webcams. These are some of that fasterst moving ones I've seen in Hawaii.

Hey how do you interpret this site?

as quoted from SNN:
SURF HEIGHT #s ABOVE REFLECT 2/3 TO 1/2 THE HEIGHT OF THE MAX-WAVE-FACE CREST TO TROUGH For example, A 10-FOOT wave LOCAL SCALE HAWAIIAN Feet = *about* 15-20 on the FACE = Triple++ *over head* = BIG!

in other words, i think "hawaiian-scale" (the first set of numbers) is the vertical wave-height, or swell size, measured from the crest of the wave, straight down to the imaginary line extended over from the trough of the wave.

the "face-scale" (the second table below the wind forecast) is measured from the crest of the wave diagonally toward the trough (so, this is usually approx twice the hawaiian-scale)

is that clear as alawai?

basically, for shore diving, you normally want that day's current observed hawaiian-scale surf for the beach you're going to be 2 feet or less (1 foot or flat is best, durr?)

and for better viz, you want to go to a beach that's had a least a couple days of near flat conditions prior.

also, check the wind-speed... gust over 25 aren't usually good either, high-winds can cause big wind-chop.

btw... pipeline is the closest forecast for shark's cove.

sweet thanks. I've never really dared ask that question about surf reports before :) too embarassed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom