Good Shore Diving in the Caribbean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bogrady

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
OK - I'm looking to plan my first Caribbean blue water dive trip. I'm a very big fan of shore diving for lots of reasons, including cost and convenience issues, and I don’t want to leave my non diving wife for entire days out on a boat. I've asked and had answered the Bonaire question (thanks all) - so time to expand my search. Through the Disney Vacation Club, I have access to timeshare resorts on the following islands. Which one(s) have the best shore diving?

Antiqua
Aruba
Bahamas - Paradise (The Atlantis), Freeport and Nassau
Cayman and Grand Cayman
Curacao
Dominican Republic (South Coast)
Jamaica
Puerto Rico
St. Maarten and St. Martin
Turks & Caicos
US Virgin Islands - St John

I would say Curacao is the best choice on that list for shore diving.

Grand Cayman has some shore diving, but it's not where I would choose if my main goal was to shore dive (or to save money.)

I don't think any of those other islands are noted for shore diving, there may be just a spot or two if anything. (A few of them aren't noted for their diving at all.)

Someplace like Puerto Rico you'd also have to look further than just 'what island' cause it's a big island! I've only passed through for a day and not dove there yet, but from what I know the areas with the good diving are likely not where your timeshare options are (I'm guessing San Juan.)

For shore diving, scratch Freeport Grand Bahama off of your list. The reefs are a mile out.

However, the Boat diving is Great!!
Check out Grand Bahama Scuba

I'm really looking forward to my trip there this year!!

Bonaire has the best shore diving in the caribbean by far!!!

of your list its Curacao.

Actually this is a no-brainer

Bonaire and Curacao are 1 - 2 in the Carib. hands down

I agree with DD. While I prefer Bonaire, for more on land activity and nicer beaches Curacao is my choice.

I have noticed several people shore diving in Aruba on past trips (before I learned to dive) I think you could stay busy there above and below water.

stangscuba98a:
Bonaire has the best shore diving in the caribbean by far!!!
but it is not on the list of places the OP can get a timeshare.

You could probably put together a pretty good set of dives on Grand Cayman. I can easily think of 5-6 places:

Sunset House - Swim out to the drop first then Mermaid/LC Nicholson.
Eden Rock/Devils Grotto
Cemetary Beach
Divetech/Turtle Reef - both the Mini and the North Wall, also they rent Scooters which is a blast all by itself.
by Foster's in GT(don't know the site name)
Seaview Reef, if the condo construction hasn't started.
etc.
nipi's posted a list in this thread:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=147395&page=3

The viz is spectacular generally also.

And alot of the boat dives are 10-15min. away. Some of them leave pretty early so you could easily do two dives by about noon. And have the rest of the day to take your wife jewelry shopping.

sjspeck - You said the magic words! any island that combines a reasonable shore dive potential with jewlerly shopping is a natural for us. Now ... are there also a lot of women's shoe stores ? ... diamonds and shoes ... nuff said.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom