good shore boots for dry suit ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Biodiversity_guy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just got my new USIA techniflex DS yesterday and dove it today.:dance:

Waited till it came to evaluate the need for new boots. What I have decided is that trying to use a standard wetsuit bootie just doesn't really work--as the lower leg is too wide to easily zip it up.

So, I guess I am considering DUI's rockboots or something similar. I think USIA may make a boot. Any thoughts on good choices or alternatives? lessons learned?

Thanks in advance.

Lots of us have started using canvas high top tennis shoes like Converse. They work nicely and you get to make a "fashion" statement at the same time :wink:

Aloha, Tim

kidspot:
Lots of us have started using canvas high top tennis shoes like Converse. They work nicely and you get to make a "fashion" statement at the same time :wink:

Aloha, Tim

Will they fit inside the same fins you would use with wetsuit booties or do you need to up-size your fins like with Rock Boots?

actually I had to "downsize" my fins... but that's because my wetboots are really big. They are smaller than rockboots, so I'd guess you'll be pretty close depending on how thick your socks and insulation is.

I, personally, don't like rockboots or chuck taylors. They come untied and even when they aren't untied can slip off your foot. It also may require you to buy a different size fin for the boot. Besides, rock boots are just two more pieces of equipement to have to pack up and remember to bring on every dive.

I had turbo soles put on my dry suit and frankly, they rock. Essentially, they cut the feet off your dry suit and replace them with chuck taylor type soles attached directly to the suit. My fuss, no muss & no floaty feet.

For the shore diving I do, turbo soles really blow.

If you have a real rocky entry (as in sofa and chair-sized boulders to hop over) turbo soles are worthless. In full gear, its like going barefoot. No ankle support at all, nearly no sole - you'll feel every rock. Same if you have a long haul up a hill out of the site.

If you don't tie rockboots, they can't come untied. Trim the laces, use the spring-loaded thingy they come with to clamp them tight and velcro the short remaining lace to the back of the shoe. I've got hundreds and hundreds of dives on rock boots and have never had an issue.

Except that they wear out.

Chucks are an alternative, but the geometry of the shoe isn't as favorable as the rock boots - its harder to get in and out of. I use Chucks for serious rock hopping, and I use my very tired Rock Boots for boats and sand entries.

The big problem is that I need two sets of fins. One (Turtles) for when I dive dry with the boots / chucks, and another (XL Jets) for when I dive wet with the booties... This week I'm gonna take the DS and my XL Jets to a shop and see if I can get a hard-soled wet suit bootie to fit over my DS footie, and still get it into the XL's... I hate schlepping around two sets of fins.

---
Ken

Rockboots. I wear them wet or dry. I took Dick Long's advice at DUI before my first trip cave diving to Akumal and got a smaller pair of rockboots to wear with my wetsuit. Can't beat them for the long walks and rocky entries. They worked great shore diving a few weeks ago in Kona too. Untied? I have no problem with that. Cinch them up and use the velcro tab on the back and they stay snug. Tho, I do get some odd curious looks on dive boats.

I'll never go back to regular booties. They just don't hold up. I've been diving rockboots with a wetsuit for 6 years now....in that time I would have bought several pairs of booties.

Now, I did forget mine this weekend with my drysuit at Gilboa Quarry. So I rented a pair of low cut booties, men's size 10 to accomodate my sock feet on the drysuit. At first they seemed okay....no problems getting in and out, fins fit fine, etc. They'll do okay I thought. Well, once I added a little depth to my dive and a little gas to my suit my feet started to balloon up a bit....I frog kick with knees bent and feet up.

Lesson learned....don't forget the rockboots next time.

Mo2vation:
For the shore diving I do, turbo soles really blow.

If you have a real rocky entry (as in sofa and chair-sized boulders to hop over) turbo soles are worthless. In full gear, its like going barefoot. No ankle support at all, nearly no sole - you'll feel every rock. Same if you have a long haul up a hill out of the site.

I've never had any problems with long walks in my turbosoles. I've also done very steep, slippery downhill & uphill walks in them wearing full gear. Again, no problems. I've walked them in gravel and stone without any issues. However, I've never tried climbing boulders with them.

You're right - rock boots do offer better ankle support while walking. For me - it was still an easy decision to trade in my rock boots for turbo soles. I wouldn't ever trade them back. YMMV.

Cheers

I've got the Bare trek boots and they're great. :thumb:
http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/BRETB.html
You feel very sure footed on rocky entries and other rough terrain. I can't imagine them coming off and once they're laced the laces are secured under a velcro flap.

Dave

I forgot to add....one thing I like about them for shore/cave diving, which works with any removable boot, is a nice clean suit!

Walk up to your tarp, kick off the boots and step onto your nice clean tarp....that stays clean. Doff your suit and joila.....no crud all over your suit to contend with....drop it down on the tarp and leave it lay until you're ready to deal with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom