Good Scuba Book- Hiding on the Bottom

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubapolly

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I often hear people asking about good books about recreational diving, and have never had a good one to recomend.

I recently got a copy of Hiding on the Bottom, by James Rosemond. Here is a review by someone much better at writing reviews than me (and also contains a link for purchasing the book which is also available through amazon.com). The book is a series of some funny stories about the diving adventures in North Carolina of the author and his dive buddy, Scotty. The book is not only a great read for divers, but is writen in a way that would be a great read for non-divers as well.

I've had the pleasure of meeting and diving with the author (he goes by Ken) and hope to one day meet Scotty, as he sounds like one hell of a character.

I've also read this book and it is a great read! Like Polly said there are some very funny stories in the book. The book focuses on diving with friends and just having a good time. Very laid back which is so like the South. :D

My copy is signed ...is your????? :D

It is a great read. Just read it alone or you will end up like I did, reading a lot of it aloud. My wife insisted I read to her what I was laughing about. In case anyone does not know he is a member of this board, Swampdog.

Have you read either of Eric Douglas' books (Cayman Cowboys or Flooding Hollywood)? They are fiction about a diver named Mike Scott who is a photojournalist. Great beach read.

Several come to mind, Diver Down by Michael R. Ange -real life scuba accidents an how to avoid them, Maybe In the Wake Of Galleons by Robert Marxx or The Rapture Of The deep by Michael Zinsley, Shadow Divers was great and now I'll be looking for Hiding On The Bottom.
Thanks for the tip!

herman:

It is a great read. Just read it alone or you will end up like I did, reading a lot of it aloud. My wife insisted I read to her what I was laughing about. In case anyone does not know he is a member of this board, Swampdog.

Well the copy I am reading is Bob P (Packman's). It is signed by Swampdog, to Bob. We each have another copy on their way to us both signed by Ken and Scotty. Last weekend Bob was showing me some plans for new bookshelves for all of our copies of Hiding on the bottom :D (after 12 years of college I have just a couple of non diving books too)

douglasville diver:
Several come to mind, Diver Down by Michael R. Ange -real life scuba accidents an how to avoid them, Maybe In the Wake Of Galleons by Robert Marxx or The Rapture Of The deep by Michael Zinsley, Shadow Divers was great and now I'll be looking for Hiding On The Bottom.
Thanks for the tip!

I've read exerpts from a couple you have listed.... read all of Shaddow Divers and LOVE IT!! But most of the books out there about diving focus on tech diving, diving accidents.... what has gone wrong. Hiding on the Bottom is more about the joy of diving, the great people you meet during diving adventures, etc.

herman:

:14:

Yep, that's me.

Ken

www.lulu.com/krosemond

Hey Ken,
Glad you stopped by. Bob even gave a copy of the book to his mom (a non-diver) for christmas. I'm waiting to hear what she thought of it.

For the rest of you that haven't read the book yet, you can download the 1st chapter of the book for free at www.lulu.com/krosemond

If you liked "Shadow Divers," "The Last Dive" by Bernie Chowdhury is a good follow up to it. It's a detailed story of Chris and Chrissy Rouse, who were killed while diving the U-Who with Kohler and Chatterton. Definitely, not an upbeat and funny book, but a good read none-the-less.

Back
Top Bottom