Good regulator for California diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

poomero

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey guys,

So as I mentioned in a post before I am a new diver. I was wondering what you think is a good regulator set up for California diving? I want to spend under 800 if I can buying new but I am not against getting a used set up. I want something that a local shop can work on and will be reliable. One person I was talking to said the Atomic b2 is a good choice because you only have to service it every 2 years. I know nothing about this and all input is welcome.

Josh

I bought the Scubapro MK25/ A700 setup. I love it and have over 70 dives on it with no problems. Great setup for all types of diving.

Best tip is rent one from the place you get your tanks. Do that a few times and you can start understanding what you do and don't like about it. This really applies to all of your gear. You also find out how often you actually dive and whether you want to be geared towards cold water diving here or more towards warm water with just some cold water gear. Cold water gear is heavier so not always the best "travel" gear. The LDS is here and will want to sell you gear for here and won't be making my suggestion, so before you have $3K worth of gear hanging around, you want to be sure of where your interest is.

well I am going to be diving in California cold water for sure so I am going to be buying a drysuit I hate wetsuits. I figure that I will only be able to afford to dive in warm water every few years due lack of funds and vacation days. I will get some travel gear down the road but for now its only going to be California. I am going to be renting for awhile for sure but I like to hear everyone's opinions and make an educated decision so when I do buy I buy once. I am renting all my gear for a dive I have coming up on the 20th of next month and I will be able to see what works and what doesn't. Thanks for the input on this and keep it coming.

Josh

This is one of those big topics because there's a load of information and opinions to sort through. Unless you're tech diving, any modern regulator will feel the same at recreational depths.
For each manufacturer, their top line models do tend to breath better than their mid-price-range models. But between manufacturers, you shouldn't really notice a difference between their mid-range models.

Servicing your regulator will depend on how much use it gets (based on a actual need) and if you want to keep your warranty (based on manufacturers' guidelines). Warranty can dictate servicing your regulator annually or every 2 years. In reality this doesn't mean your regulator will be faulty once a year is up (for annual service warranties) or after every 2 years (for 2 year service warranties) etc etc.

Do a google search: "site:scubaboard.com regulator service" and you'll find a lot of posts describing this in detail.

What you want to ask yourself is several things when purchasing a regulator:
- What's my budget?
- What are my service options?
- What's my diving environment?
- What's my gear configuration?

Budget is self explanatory. Service options is a matter of personal preference and convenience. To service your reg ("regular" maintenance or repair) you'll need an authorized dealer/shop to perform the work. This could mean an LDS that you could drive to or this could mean shipping it cross country if you have no authorized shops near you. So ask yourself if you would like the convenience of having a shop nearby that you could drop your reg off at, and that will dictate what choice of manufacturers you can buy your reg from.

Diving environment is an important one. If you're diving ice, you'll need an environmentally sealed reg. Here in Monterey, pretty much any reg will work, although I wouldn't buy a reg marketed for warm water.
You have 2 choices for regulator first stages: Diaphragm or Piston. In today's age, both breath relatively the same; both are balanced. There are still unbalanced regulators on the market though, in which case these will breath harder at depth.

Do a google search on the following if you're interested in knowing the difference
site:scubaboard.com diaphragm VS piston
site:scubaboard.com balanced VS unbalanced

Diaphragms are always environmentally sealed, Pistons have a portion of the first stage exposed to the outside water via equalization ports. This means it can receive silt and grit from the water, therefore it will be more important to thoroughly rinse your reg.
There are sealed Pistons however which prevent any exposure of the inside to the outside environment (just like a diaphragm first stage). Some are filled with lots of expensive Christolube therefore service will be expensive as you have to replace all that lube to environmentally seal your Piston Reg. Others are just sealed off entirely and use a equalization valve, such as those made by Sherwood, which run the same as other regs on the market, price wise (pistons and diaphragms).

Finally there's gear configuration. You'll want to see what you'll be equipped with and whether you can configure your reg properly. Regs have HP and LP ports (High pressure & Low pressure respectively)
SPG and AI transmitters (for air integrated computers) use HP ports
Second stages, inflation devices, and breathing devices use LP ports.

Meaning if you have:
- primary reg, octo, drysuit, SPG -> you will need 4 LP ports at a minimum to supply air to everything including your BC inflator, SPG will take up 1 HP port

On the other hand:
- primary reg, air 2, drysuit -> you will only need 3 LP ports as the Air 2 shares your BC inflator hose

For a further example
- primary reg, octo, drysuit, SPG, AI transmitter -> you will need 4 LP ports and 2 HP ports

If you get a reg with 4 LP ports and 2 HP ports, you can be set for almost any configuration you want. Having more ports can also make hose routing easier as it gives you more options, so I wouldn't suggest looking for the bare minimum.
The most you can get currently on the market are 5LP ports and 2 HP ports. There is no real price increase for more ports, but I just mention this because it can be important later when you start to determine your ideal gear config.

I'll stand by the Sherwoods I've owned. After using a Double hose I got a used Sherwood 4000, later since I was on a budget, the price on a demo Magnum in 1980 got me a new reg and Sherwoods continued reliability made me buy a new Blizzard in 2009 when I had some loose cash. The Magnum is now on a pony bottle and I still use the 4000 for backup. I have only taken them to a shop when I believe I have an issue.

They may not be the greatest but have worked well for me, from the surface to 130+ in salt, fresh and at 6000'.

Bob
----------------------------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

They may not be the greatest but have worked well for me, from the surface to 130+ in salt, fresh and at 6000'.

....above sea level right? :eyebrow:
I had to stare and think about that for a while.

g1138 Thanks for all that. I appreciate it very much and it gives me a lot to think about. I will keep you guys posted on what I end up with when I do end up with one.

Have fun. :wink:

I have a HOG D1 COLD and I have been very happy with it. Inexpensive, reliable, and Jared at Monterey Bay Diving Company can service it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom