Good places around Cebu - Cabilao, Apo Island...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mazaxx

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi there

I'm heading south tomorrow to Malapascua for some diving. After that I would like to go somewhere else in the area, but I'm not too sure where.
I've been thinking of Cabilao or Apo Island. I heard that Cabilao is really cool and there are good things to see, but also that it is very seasonal and that you have to be experienced and so on.. I've also heard that Apo is a sure hit, and it's relatively easy to get to... I'm torn, but leaning toward Cabilao because of the potential for big fish in December/January :wink:

Please help me. I've done my advanced PADI course and feel pretty comfortable with it all. If I do go to Cabilao, are the operators there good and is one better than the other (I hear there are two). And if it is Apo, which is the best place to stay and dive from. And generally, is this the season for those two places or is one better than the other right now.

Your help is most needed. Thank you very much :11:

Mads

Cabilao really is a macro playground, not sure about big fish, but when I asked about hammerheads, the comment was "yeah, we saw one once in late January... Sometimes you see them".

If you want big fish.. I'd suggest elsewhere, if you want some of the best macro and wall dives you'll find anywhere, along with good food, a relaxed atmosphere and just a plain great place to be, then go to Cabilao.

Z...

Cabilao, advance? Naw... You might get a bit of a current at the point near the lighthouse waiting around for barracudas in the deep, but the rest is pretty easy diving. As for getting there, actually Cabilao would be more convenient from Cebu City. There are 3 dive resorts on Cabilao. I'm only familiar with two of them. Good praises for both Polaris and La Estrella. The resort at Polaris is bit nicer. I think there is an European who runs the dive ops at Polaris. A number of SB members have used this operation and most had a positive experience. I used La Estrella as Polaris was fully booked... The young German couple who used to run the dive shop at La Estrella have moved on to the Red Sea and Bobit, local, I think is now running the dive shop there (he's a great guide - a local legend...)

Whether you choose Apo or Cabilao, you're in for a treat! Really nice diving. If you go to Apo and you catch Coconut Point during a strong current, strap in and get ready for a ride of your life... :eyebrow:

i was more under the impression that Apo Island is harder to dive than Cabilao. :) never dove Apo Island yet but i tried Cabilao and they were all easy dives. (Zee- was there a current? i can't remember ever having experienced one for all our dives!)

i agree with Pak... either places, you can never go wrong. :)

I dived both Cabilao and Apo Island last Summer / Fall (August/ Sept. 2007) and I feel that as a PADI AOW diver you should be comfortable at either destination. If you want to see "big" stuff, I think Apo is perhaps better than Cabilao (esp. for turtles, rays, large schools of jacks, etc..) and I will also say IMHO that the overall coral health and fish densities are superior at Apo. Apo also does have some good macro sites, perhaps not quite as varied as Cabilao.

However, IF lodging and facilities are a deciding factor then I would recommend Cabilao, as either resort there has much nicer facilities and infrastructure (A/C, pool, game area) if that is significant to you??

I do know that Cabilao WAS once famous for it's frequent shark sightings (whitetips and hammerheads) but it's my understanding that (sadly) that is no longer the case...

But both are great dive destinations and each has it's own merits. As for difficulty, they are both about equal, with Apo having a few more exposed sites (current).

Enjoy!
HB

Having heard of the experiences of the rest of the PPDers about Cabilao and having been to Apo, if I wanted to see bigger stuff it sounds like Apo Island would be better. Saw all the big fish every single dive. And yes, as Pak said, get ready for coconut point! :)

For Apo, people usually stay on the mainland and just endure the 20 min bangka ride to Apo.

Having heard of the experiences of the rest of the PPDers about Cabilao and having been to Apo, if I wanted to see bigger stuff it sounds like Apo Island would be better. Saw all the big fish every single dive. And yes, as Pak said, get ready for coconut point! :)

For Apo, people usually stay on the mainland and just endure the 20 min bangka ride to Apo.

Go to Cabilao if you want a plush dive resort, 24hr electricity, usually only three scheduled dives each day, macro, I noticed lots of little types of crabs mostly - I hit it right before a bad weather window (Super Typhoon and tropical depressions) so unfortunately I didn't experience the best critter safari.

Go to Apo Island (stay on the island) if you don't mind 3 hour electricity 6-9pm, cool pail baths, as many dives each day as you make time for, awesome macro, schools of jacks, sea turtles, maybe barracuda, lots of morays, quite intense dive gettaway. I've never stayed on Negros to dive Apo as I prefered the 5-10 minute boat ride to any dive site around the island.

The only big stuff I saw at Cabilao was a nice school of barracudas off Shark Point. Beautiful coral and macro heaven though...

Lots of turtles/ jacks on Apo Island. Hear stories of Napoleon wrasses frequently sighted there but we missed out.

at least u saw barracudas. all we saw were small stuff but nevertheless, it was quite amazing for me. :)

Back
Top Bottom