Good place for new diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jomcclain

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My son has recently obtained his OW cert and I would like to take him somewhere for a first ocean experience. We're in Virginia and would want to go somewhere within a day's drive. Any suggestions?

Olympus is out of Morehead City, NC which should be less than a day's drive. Home - Olympus Dive Center Although many of their wreck dives are too deep for your new diver - they do offer:
Additionally, we have both a Full Day Shallow and Half Day Charters available to ship wrecks and reefs that sit in about 60 feet of water. These dives are ideal for divers who either do not meet the minimum requirements for the deeper Full Day Charters or would benefit from doing a shallow wreck dive from a boat.

Or drive further to Myrtle Beach, SC - Express Watersports does a lot of shallower "Novice" dives. Google puts that 6 hrs. from central VA. Myrtle Beach Scuba Diving Sites & Prices | Express Watersports In North Myrtle,

The Perry is a good dive, small ships with swim-thru anyone can manage plus at one location in the area you can drop on a bunch of NYC subway cars sitting on the bottom upright - doors removed (maybe windows also?) so easily penetrable.

Visibility may not be great at either location, for that you'd need to fly to SE Florida or the Keys instead. Express has placed permanent lines between some of the wrecks to facilitate locating them. Once we didn't see the boat on ascent till we were about 40' under it. According to the DM - good viz that day. Based on our experiences that week the farther out the better the viz.

Express's DM stays on the boat except to set the mooring so if you want one, you'll have to rent your own thru them.

In Myrtle Beach they told us the "season" runs from about May to Sept./Oct. - past that trips can be called due to weather. Express tries to get out all year afaik. In July it was bathtub warm also - boardshorts/t-shirt for me.

Coastal Scuba is another option in North Myrtle - I know nothing of them but the name.

I have dove with Express many times. Haven't dove with them since 2011, but they were top notch in my opinion. Very professional crew. We went to dive the City of Richmond, and the vis was terrible and seas were rough. We still attempted to dive, and also received a rain check for another dive. Great stand up shop in my opinion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom