Good Pay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Man O War

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,I was wondering how good do instructors get paid? I know it's hard to name an exact price but,Is the pay good enough to live off of or is it something you would need to do as a 2nd/side job?

Being a scuba instructor usually involves a second job. There's another post about this somewhere but I'm no good at finding them, someone will post it for you.

Welcome to the board though! This is a great place to meet friendly people and get answers to any questions you have! Hope to see you around the boards!
Ber :bunny:

But...I have often thought it would be great to become a dive instructor part-time after I retire.

All the intructors at my LDS have other jobs, except for one or two who work at the dive shop full time. Thier full time duties however are not instructing, but sales and service. Tough job huh? :)

Thanks for the welcoming.Only if i would have found this board about 5 years ago hehe :)

I think you have to hook up with a resort down south that is a big outfit and doesn't mind shelling out the bucks for a good instructor. ( might have to do sales)

Good pay for instructing....? This sounds like a joke in the making or maybe an oxymoron. You'd make more money working at McDonalds than you would instructing. Most people that I know that instruct have a breadwinner job/career and teach on the side because they like to (pay after all is said and done, less than minimum wage); pay in my area stinks.

Cheers :)

How to make a living as a scuba instructor:

1. Your significant other has the real job (ie the one that pays all the bills) and allows you to have the play job.

2. You have a seven-figure trust fund.

3. You won a state lottery.

4. Mommy and daddy pay all your bills while you go off to play scuba instructor.

But seriously folks, my local dive shop pays $45.00/student (no benefits, no commissions). All the instructors have other careers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom