Good P&S for video clips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gombessa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone.

I'm looking for a nice, very compact p&s that has good white balance and color channel response for underwater video. I'm not trying to win any prizes here, just document my dives and the cool things I see under the water. I'm currently using a Sony T30 with the OEM underwater housing, and am finding it somewhat lacking because 1) it has no custom WB setting, or even a generic "underwater" WB setting, and 2) it tends to exaggerate blues and greens underwater, making everything look like it was shot with night-vision goggles.

I'm leaning towards the Canon SD-series as I've seen some output from those and they appear superior to my Sony, but I haven't really been in the market long and most sample shots around are stills, particularly gorgeous macros lit with offset strobes, not exactly what I'm aiming for.

I'm not married to any brand, just looking for a clean sensor, really. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

I've liked the results with our Canon cameras over the Olympus cameras I've had. My latest is the G9, not the SD but I suspect their output is pretty good too, I'm really happy with the G9's video, especially in relatively low light situations.

Thanks Steve,

As a previous owner of a G1 + G2, I'd be interested in seeing how some of the more recent versions of the camera stack up. I imagine the housing would be a bit bigger than the SD-series, but hopefully not by too much.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom