Good on-line dealers in Canada?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Louie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Any divers in Canada who have experience with on-line purchasing of equipment?

I am aware there are many US ones but I find that after considering exchange rates, shipping costs etc, you don't really get a good deal.

It's a case of I know exactly what I'm after and I don't want to walk into an overpriced shop when I can get it elsewhere for less.

Thank you

pm sent

I bought a Suunto D9 from divetank.com. I'm pretty sure they are in Canada (BC). Their price was cheaper than leisurepro, the guy on the phone (Rick, I think) was helpful, and the computer arrived promptly.

Louie:
I am aware there are many US ones but I find that after considering exchange rates, shipping costs etc, you don't really get a good deal.

Wow... we hear the opposite alot. Because the US dollar is so weak right now, we have a lot of people buying from us who are outside the US.. Canada, England, Australia etc.

For example, with the scubaboard discount, next day shipping, and brokerage fees included, an Atmos 1 Wrist computer would be $190 Canadian. Up there is something like that even cheaper??

Larry is right to a certain degree.
I've bought 2 Mares X-Vision masks from him with optical lenses for less than what 1 such mask would have cost me here in Canada and he even included neoprene mask straps as a present.
BTW Larry, where are the original lenses of the masks? Never heard from you again after you promised to take care of it? :wink:

scubatoys:
Wow... we hear the opposite alot. Because the US dollar is so weak right now, we have a lot of people buying from us who are outside the US.. Canada, England, Australia etc.

For example, with the scubaboard discount, next day shipping, and brokerage fees included, an Atmos 1 Wrist computer would be $190 Canadian. Up there is something like that even cheaper??

But then tack on 15% for taxes (to Ontario) and a duty based on the claimed "value". You can either cheat on the value (if the shipper is willing) and pay less duty BUT you lose if something goes missing because the insurance is for said value.

So a $190 computer should be 190x1.15 = 218.50 + duty (probably 20 dollars (10%)) + a customs brokerage fee (about $20) for a grand total of about $260.

Still very reasonable at $260 CDN but much different than the $190 that is implanted in the grey matter.

Regards,

Jason

pharmguy:
But then tack on 15% for taxes (to Ontario) and a duty based on the claimed "value". You can either cheat on the value (if the shipper is willing) and pay less duty BUT you lose if something goes missing because the insurance is for said value.

So a $190 computer should be 190x1.15 = 218.50 + duty (probably 20 dollars (10%)) + a customs brokerage fee (about $20) for a grand total of about $260.

Still very reasonable at $260 CDN but much different than the $190 that is implanted in the grey matter.

Regards,

Jason

I've frequently ordered from the U.S. but have yet to see any 'duty' charges. From Ontario you're certainly going to be hit for 15%, but unless you're using UPS your brokerage fees shouldn't be significant. I have ordered from Scubatoys before and the cost of shipping FedEx priority ($30 US) also waived the 'brokerage' fees, and I received the order in two days. I've been on the opposite end too, and have spent more on fees than the the value of the goods.

Sean

pharmguy:

Regards,

Jason

Actually, when we ship overnight (and the shipping price was for next day) UPS Brokerage fees are included in the cost of shipping. It turns out due to our overnight international discounts, and the brokerage fee difference, we can ship overnight to Canada cheaper than going by ground. Weird!

I would be very impressed if there is any reasonably sized Canadian mail order business that is competetive. Yes there are the small folks that are ok to deal with for certain things, but generally, you are going to pay more. I think that the cause of it is that businesses pay more for the goods in Canada. I would bet that a lot of the time, cost of goods wholesale is more than retail in the USA. Businesses in general get hammered here by their government and suppliers/manufacturers don't give them any breaks.

I hear folks say, " I never get charged duty" I can tell you they are lucky. Apparently I am on some "list" because I get the bill later. UPS is the worst.

The system is so onerous here that, unfortunately, it compels folks to be dishonest in their business matters, tax dodges etc. Far more than the USA.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom