Good Ocean Diving around Daytona/Cocoa area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iflyprops

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Is there any good ocean, be it boat or shore, diving around Daytona or Cocoa Beach? I would like to find some decent diving without driving the 2 1/2 hours to West Palm/Jupiter from Orlando. My buddies and I have been diving springs since December and are ready to get out of the freshwater and into something with some sealife!

Thanks!

iflyprops:
Is there any good ocean, be it boat or shore, diving around Daytona or Cocoa Beach?
It depends on your definition of good. In my opinion there's not much in the way of scenic diving around here, but there are some places to hunt, although the most productive ones are fairly far offshore. I live in Brevard County, and except for an occasional foray for lobster out of Sebastian Inlet I always drive south to dive (at least as far as Jupiter).

I believe there are some wrecks 20+ miles offshore. There are no charter boats that run out of Port Canaveral. All the dives are off of private boats. Daytona does have some charters but all of the dives are far offshore too.

do you have Ned DeLoach's "Underwater Florida?" It outlines some of the better
dives off Daytona. You can also come north and dive with us in Jacksonville. We
have very large fish, wrecks, and about 40 feet vis most of the time. Sites are
in 70-90 feet of water, about 10 miles (one hour) off the coast.

I went with sea dogs out of ponce inlet once. They run an experienced operation there. I think i dove the mindinao when i was there. Its a great dive, plenty of sea life. I shot a 20 lb grouper on that wreck if your interested in that. You arent gonna get good vis (40-50) compared to S.Florida but the amount of life will make up for it.

Thanks. No I don't have the Underwater FL book, I should probobly get it. I am actually from just north of Jax, Amelia Island, but am in Orlando as I'm going to college at the moment. I have heard mixed things about Jax diving. What are some good operators? Good to know about Ponce, nice and close. My buddies and I are wreck freaks so we'll have to check that out.

Thanks again!

Unfortunately, we don't have an charters going out of Port Canaveral or Sebastian. I've heard of a lot of good reefs in the 90' range, but unfortunately... I haven't had the opportunity to experience them. You can beach dive from Wabasso South... but, you have to hope the water is clear. Some times it is... and other times... well.. you take your chances. Ft Pierce is usually OK. The vis varies... but it's usually diveable...

Al

USAF Diver:
I believe there are some wrecks 20+ miles offshore. There are no charter boats that run out of Port Canaveral. All the dives are off of private boats. Daytona does have some charters but all of the dives are far offshore too.

I'm doing the legwork and surfing for a dive charter for my son (Blackhawk pilot for the TX Ntl Guard) who will be in Palm Coast next week. Could you give me any recommendations for somewhere he can get wet while he's there? He's wanting to spend one day diving before he heads back to Texas.

thanks ~
Jerri ~

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom