Good night shore dives in the Tacoma area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JoshuaJ

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My girlfriend and I are new to diving with about 20 dives in so far. We did a night dive while we were in Jamaica and would like to do one up here where we might see some more octopus or other critters. We're based in the Portland area, and have dived at Sund Rock, Mikes Beach Resort, Les Davis Marine Park and Owen's Beach so far in the PNW. Of course we would make sure that we have a few dives at a new location in the day time before doing a night dive. We would also LOVE to meet more local divers and dive with/learn from your experience :popcorn:

One of my very favorite sites for diving at night isn't in Tacoma, but in South Seattle, and that's Redondo Beach. I've never found it a fantastic daytime dive, but at night . . . all kinds of things come out of the woodwork! I have frequently seen several small octopuses, market squid, several species of gunnel, stubby squids, lumpsuckers in the wintertime, bay pipefish, lots of sailfin sculpins, and many other fun things.

If you come up on a weekend when I'm home, I'd be more than happy to meet you to do a day dive there, and then a second dive at night. I love night diving anywhere, and Redondo is particularly good.

The only shore diving site for novices in Tacoma that I know is Les Davis, and I have heard it is not a good place to be at night.

Sounds good! I've heard Redondo Beach mentioned several times but don't know much about it. I'll have to look it up :) Probably won't have a chance to make it up there until July as the month of June is booked. Next dive will be June 26th at Clear Lake for the full moon =)

Tacoma Scuba does shop dives twice a week at Les Davis. They sometimes turn into night dives if people are running late, and Les Davis can be pretty neat at night.

I live in Portland and have dove Redondo many, many, many times both in the day and at night. Both times have there advantage, but I really do like night dives there. Maybe sometime we could go up and do a couple of day dives and stay for one night dive.

i would say a really nice places to do a night dive is at sunnyside beach. its actually in steilacoom not tacoma. i dive there whenever i need to get a quick dive in or i go to see the octopus out under the pipeline. :eyebrow:

Another vote for Redondo ... unfortunately the continuing plankton bloom has blown out the vis pretty badly of late. But it should clear up eventually, and it's one of my all-time favorite places to do a night dive. If it's octopus you want to see, Redondo's the place to see them ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom