Good news from our family in NY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

100days-a-year

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Have heard from everyone,all are doing OK.Our prayers go out to the families who are waiting for answers.I thought I'd share the news with our on-line family as well.One nephew ,James is a firefighter in mid-Manhattan.He was off that morning but lost many friends.Another nephew ,Chris saw the entire thing play out from atop a building 3 blocks away where he (an ironworker)was replacing windows.Another, Jimmy was on the same job ,but not up yet.Brother- in- law Buddy(also an iron-worker)was down-town also.Friend David was on a job in Nyack and was staying a coupla miles from everything.The family there are all involved in the rescue effort and our prayers are with them.We get e-mails everyday as phones still are over-loaded and damaged.The horrors they describe are beyond belief.The comfort and support displayed here is greatly appreciated,particularly those of you from abroad.I hope we here can somehow repay the acts of love and support.

It's good of you to share your good news.This tragedy has touched the world and your good news can help touch it again.
God Bless,
Greg.

Tony, you must be so thrilled and relieved - good for you, and may your family members and all those helping in the rescue work continue to be safe in their efforts.

:)

VERY glad to hear your good news. Thats a lot of people that could have been potentially exposed to this horror. Happy that they're safe.

Glad to hear that Tony. The whole thing still seems like a nightmare that I'm going to wake up from. I was starting to get weary of all the talking heads and "experts" coming out of the woodwork to give their views of the whole thing, then I came across one sent to me by a friend that sums up exactly how I feel and is so well put I wish I had wrote it. It's being circulated around in various places, including the internet, so you may have seen it already, but I'm going to post it here anyway. The emphasis [red]red[/red] is mine.

The Miami Herald, Published Wednesday, September 12, 2001
Written by Leonard Pitts Jr.

We'll go forward from this moment
It's my job to have something to say.
They pay me to provide words that help make sense of that which troubles the American soul. But in this moment of airless shock when hot tears sting disbelieving eyes, the only thing I can find to say, the only words that seem to fit, must be addressed to the unknown author of this suffering.

[red]You monster. You beast. You unspeakable bastard.[/red]

What lesson did you hope to teach us by your coward's attack on our World Trade Center, our Pentagon, us? What was it you hoped we would learn? Whatever it was, please know that you failed.

Did you want us to respect your cause? You just damned your cause.

Did you want to make us fear? You just steeled our resolve.

Did you want to tear us apart? You just brought us together.

Let me tell you about my people. We are a vast and quarrelsome family, a family rent by racial, social, political and class division, but a family nonetheless. We're frivolous, yes, capable of expending tremendous emotional energy on pop cultural minutiae -- a singer's revealing dress, a ball team's misfortune, a cartoon mouse. We're wealthy, too, spoiled by the ready availability of trinkets and material goods, and maybe because of that, we walk through life with a certain sense of blithe entitlement. We are fundamentally decent, though -- peace-loving and compassionate. We struggle to know the right thing and to do it. And we are, the overwhelming majority of us, people of faith, believers in a just and loving God.

Some people -- you, perhaps -- think that any or all of this makes us weak. You're mistaken. We are not weak. Indeed, we are strong in ways that cannot be measured by arsenals.

IN PAIN

Yes, we're in pain now. We are in mourning and we are in shock. We're still grappling with the unreality of the awful thing you did, still working to make ourselves understand that this isn't a special effect from some Hollywood blockbuster, isn't the plot development from a Tom Clancy novel. Both in terms of the awful scope of their ambition and the probable final death toll, your attacks are likely to go down as the worst acts of terrorism in the history of the United States and, probably, the history of the world. You've bloodied us as we have never been bloodied before.

But there's a gulf of difference between making us bloody and making us fall. This is the lesson Japan was taught to its bitter sorrow the last time anyone hit us this hard, the last time anyone brought us such abrupt and monumental pain. When roused, we are righteous in our outrage, terrible in our force. When provoked by this level of barbarism, we will bear any suffering, pay any cost, go to any length, in the pursuit of justice.

I tell you this without fear of contradiction. I know my people, as you, I think, do not. What I know reassures me. It also causes me to tremble with dread of the future.

In the days to come, there will be recrimination and accusation, fingers pointing to determine whose failure allowed this to happen and what can be done to prevent it from happening again. There will be heightened security, misguided talk of revoking basic freedoms. We'll go forward from this moment sobered, chastened, sad. But determined, too. Unimaginably determined.

THE STEEL IN US

You see, the steel in us is not always readily apparent. That aspect of our character is seldom understood by people who don't know us well. On this day, the family's bickering is put on hold.

As Americans we will weep, as Americans we will mourn, and as Americans, we will rise in defense of all that we cherish.

So I ask again: What was it you hoped to teach us? It occurs to me that maybe you just wanted us to know the depths of your hatred. If that's the case, consider the message received. And take this message in exchange: You don't know my people. You don't know what we're capable of. You don't know what you just started.

But you're about to learn

Glad to hear everyone you knew is alright Tony. My dad was downtown as well and saw much of it from his office. My cousin Kimberly used to work in the WTC. I've been in the restaurants and shopping areas in those building on numerous occasions. I can't believe they are gone now. Some very hairy times. We still light candles every night. American flags are sold out across the country. I had to settle for balloons and making T-shirt iron-ons, until I can find one.

Tony-
Glad to hear your good news.
friends of mine around here around here (Northern NJ) are getting a mixture of good and not good news abouttheir loved ones .
I'm happy for you.
miked

Greg - thanks for posting that article. Those of us outside the US only see what CNN & the BBC are showing and don't get much chance to see all these editorials. It seems everyone puts things in a different perspective... it must be an extremely tough job for the world leaders to go about dealing with this terror. We all hope & pray that they make the right decisions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom