Good News...for Manatees

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pombo is a threat to the enviroment and unfortuntely or fortunately if you are a developer he chairs the resource committee in the house of reps(Richard Pombo CA-R}

Heh, I was going to chime in on this discussion after reading the subject title with similar feelings about the downlisting.

Its like in that movie Finding Nemo, when all the aquarium fish are in little bags floating in the harbor... "Now what?"

They went endangered for a reason... Then we made laws to protect them so they could come back... Now we get rid of the laws... Will it do anything?

The fact of the matter is, its humans vs manatees. Who needs the water-front real estate more? Developers or the animals who lived their so long, their very physiology is adapted to that enviornment. That's not to say that the developers might be trying to put their children through college or something. Its one of those choices where its really hard to make, but it has to be made- decisively and asap.

We'll probably blow ourselves up sooner or later... Why not let the poor manatees eat some grass and enjoy life while they can?

Another thing I'd like to note is that by Florida state laws, it is considered threatened. I'm no enviornmentalist so I really don't know the difference between threatened and endangered. While I'm sure the former has less stringent legislation protecting it, theres probably still some legislature there.

And it might also be worthy to note that on a Federal standard, the manatee is still on the endangered species list.

And why is the wikipedia article on them so short (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manatee)? Surely theres more information out there on manatees. I mean, they seem to be a hot topic when brought up. You'd think that people who feel passionately about these things would have the time to write a simple wiki article...

I kid.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom