Good midwestern dive sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k ellis

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Here in the midwest there are a couple of great dive spots I know of such as Tablerock and Tenkiller and even beaver lake. So just curious as to when you are traveling (Or if you live) in the midwest where do you get your gills wet and tell a little about the reason you like the dive site(s)

I love tablerock because its close to some really great dive shops and their is top notch things to do in the location.

Also love Tenkiller because its close to my home and has an excellent scuba park with lots to see and do!

Then there is Beaver lake which this year produced alot of new divers! and also has lots to see and do there.

Good and Midwest, hmm, aside from TR, nah. And TR is OK, mediocre at best due to the cold, sterile environment and need for a boat and generally poor viz. I have seen decent viz, at times, rare, mostly below the thermocline. The Kimberling Bridge can be fun, so can the General (Zebulon Pike?) and I like the point and I had fun investigating the "Legend of Oasis" but aside from playing with my boat, I can get on airplane to someplace nicer for not much more. There is some pit, in a garbage dump, Orangeano or something like that. Went there once, no thanks, it completed sucked and that is all I have to say for it.

Is shore diving allowed at the dam still? I saw nobody diving there but was not able to ask because who would I ask? I did see a few pontoon boats with divers at Jakes Point Island and some shore divers at the little access point right across from Jakes Point Island on a few occasions. Fortunately, I have a boat well equipped for diving and in TR, you really need a boat.

N

I'm pretty sure shore diving at the dam is over. :(

Well, I figured that. It seemed like a hostile place now. So, it seems aside from the one access point across from Jakes Point Island, there is no shore diving. Hmmm, well, I know many will be very upset by that as that was the main dive spot on TR. Safe and easily accessed. Why do things have to be improved? There are some good spots in TR to dive, but without a boat, that leaves many high and dry it seems with this development. I am sad for those who enjoyed that place.

N

Yes, diving is off limits inside the roped off area with the bouys at the damn.
As for Oronogo it is now closed for good, no more diving there either.

Lake Superior wrecks are great dives. Visibility can range from 10' to 70', but I don't know what factors play into this, so that I can pick out a good weekend to go.

I'm heading up next weekend to dive the Elie, Madera and Hesper.

I grew up in Kansas and there was absolutely nothing to dive around my area. I never heard of anybody that were divers either. The closest thing I ever saw to diving was on TV (yes it was still black and white back then). I could never imagine diving in any of the local mud holes due to crap visibility. We would swim for hours, but no diving.

The title of this thread peaked my interest. I though it was meant as an oxymoron or something.

What can you say about diving in the Midwest....luck of the draw I guess. Last year all the lake diving was done early in the year due to the massive floods. This year we had decent viz early in the year, then the heat wave hit and viz went down to 5' in most places. Recently, the lakes seem to have rebounded a little with some good viz reported at Beaver and Table Rock. Oddly, Norfork didn't seem to come out of it; which is strange because Norfork typically has some of the best viz.

Shore diving at Table Rock, yes the COE did a disservice to us divers and have suspended diving at Dewey inside the buoys. The concern is ultimately they will have a suction pipe for a waterfall at the new visitors center and have concern about divers either "messing with it" or getting caught in it. (That is the story I'm hearing) We have been diving at Dewey behind the old visitors center. Walk down the bike trail and find the shore....pretty good diving in this area.

As far as quarries, Oronogo is closed for good. Mermet Springs has been experiencing awesome viz in the 30' range. We had a chance to visit PennyRoyal last month and had 50' viz....totally awesome diving for the midwest. As November is around the corner Bennett Springs is opening up for diving. This is crystal clear diving.

Lastly, thanks ChickenFried for the plug of our website www.midwestmuckdiving.com We encourage all Midwest Divers to stop in and post the latest conditions at various Midwest dive spots.

Snagel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom