Good mid-priced open-heel Fins - Opinions Please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dirk Pitt

Registered
Reaction score
A friend of mine is looking to buy a good pair of mid-priced open-heel fins......

Does anyone have any recomendations I can pass on, I personally have Mares Quattro's but any other suggestions appreciated.

Dirk

Scubapro Jetfins are good but are a bit heavy and the strap/buckle design is dated, so you should plan on replacing the straps with one of the spring designs that are around.

The Mares Power Plana Avanti is an excellent fin in both a flutter kick and a frog kick. They are mid priced, durable and light weight which may be a consideration if you travel a lot. Genesis sells the same fin as the Aquaflex. Both are availabel for about $50 and quite a bit cheaper than either the Jetfin or the Avanti Quattro.

"Jetfins are good but are a bit heavy"

Slightly negative in sea water.

"the strap/buckle design is dated"

It works extremely well.

DA Aquamaster once bubbled...
Scubapro Jetfins are good but are a bit heavy and the strap/buckle design is dated

I think it'sfar better than anything any modern fins have :)

They are reasonably priced, good performance, & last forever.

As fo the Jet Fins... hmm.. isn't that what Fred Flinstone used to wear when he dove? :wink:

~SubMariner~

Another nice thing about the jets is that you can buy 10 year old ones on ebay for cheap and they will last you another 10 years before you lose them.

-Klaus

My personal favorite is the Cressi Frog.
I do use jets in caves and wrecks, but only because they are shorter and less of a problem in confined spaces. For open water I dive the Frogs most of the time.
Rick

Sub,

"As fo the Jet Fins... hmm.. isn't that what Fred Flinstone used to wear when he dove?"

Actually, no. When Fred dived he used Duck Feet - literally.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom