Good Marine Wax?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
The boat yard wanted 600 dollars to wax the boat, so we had them do just the bottom half when they did the bottom paint. Bumper guard down.

So, what is a good wax to use? Car wax?

And should I use the buffer that came with the boat? Appreciate any tips.
(I have never waxed a car)

3M has a whole line of marine detailing products. All great. Since I KNOW that you have a Port Supply account with West Marine over on Sand Island Road under Angelfish Productions, you can get this stuff wholesale.
I don't know what buffer came with your boat, and since love or money won't get me back to Hawaii anytime soon until I take my 61' Nordhavn there, don't hold your breath.

Pesonally I like Liquid Glass. I have used it forever on cars and motorcycles and it makes them look like toys! I've used it on the boat too and it does a great job:however' waxing a boat is like waxing a semi. They also have a marine form Liquid Glass, that I've ony used a few times so the jury is still out on that one. You can get the car stuff at Pep-Boys. Very good stuff, just rub on and rub off 10 minutes later

Thanks guys. They let some crap drift all over the boat in the yard, kind of irritating. But I think I got it off with softscrub, so now it needs some good wax.

Tom, sometimes you crack me up. Yea, thats what I need a buff buffer. This thing just plugs into the shore power. It will probably drag me overboard.

The GOOD buffer is the Porter-Cable 6" Random Orbital. But I wouldn't be happy about
using 110V hanging over the side of a boat. Out of the water it's great. And I found
some small (2"? 3"?) pads for it.

Believe it or not, I like Nu-finish car wax, liquid. It seems to hold up really well.

3m makes a product called Finesse-it for buffing with an orbital buffer. Around $80 a gallon but with do alot of boats. I used it on my dad's 30 year old blue hull that was almost white looking from oxidation. It made it look showroom new.

For polish I use Star Brite Marine polish with PTEF. Very easy to apply and it seems to last.

If it's just wax you're looking for, Zymol. Hands down better than the other stuff.

I agree with the 3M stuff for everything else. They have a very nice line of products that a LOT of body and paint shops use with great success, but Zymol beats the 3M stuff when it comes to wax.

Check out Boated.com scroll down to "Detailing/Fabrication. The hot product right now seems to be "Buff Magic" followed by "Pro Polish" I tried both about a month ago and have not been back to the boat since. So can't up date yet. I really liked the way the "Buff Magic" worked, but not sure about the "Pro Polish".

Look for a marine wax containing PTEF, assuming a fiberglass boat. N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom