Good Magazine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shark.byte.usa:
I'm new to diving, living in Arizona my scuba magazine options are severly limited, without a subscription.

What's your favorite scuba mag? Any suggestions on which I should subscribe to? FYI, the majority of my diving will be in California, if that helps.

Thanks
Dive Training has been very helpful to us. My wife and I are ready for our checkout dives so we're just getting started too. I'm more inclined to read it cover to cover. I use post-it's to flag all for the diving skill and info articles. She picks off the magazines one at a time along with her other recreational reading. We may go back latter for the ecology and destination stories, but there will always be more of those. For now we want to become competent local divers.

Some dive shops have complimentary copies and sometimes have an archive of leftover issues that are up for grabs. I'm not sure how often the topics recycle but If you can get 6-12 months worth you will have a great source of long format practical information.

Pete

Thanks for all the replies, looks like Dive Training, is the clear choice. I'm going to check with my LDS and see if I can get the FREE 6 mo. subscription through them. I also subscribed to Scuba Diving, the price was right ($17/yr.). Shark Diver seems it might be interesting reading too.

sjspeck:
If you want to see them before subscribing, you can usually get them all at Borders at 24th/Camelback generally, sometimes they also have Diver from the U.K.
that's a little drive, I'm on the West Side, but I'll check a border's over here, thanks.

sjspeck:
Are you certifying through Scuba Sciences? I noticed you're SSI. So am I.
Yes, I am. They've been great, I feel I've gotten the best training possible to this point. And with access to their pool, my 36 hr. course, has become more like 50 hrs. so far. Just need to get into the open water now, I can't wait.

sjspeck:
Also consider joining our Arizona Scuba (AZScuba) group. We meet the 2nd week of every month for a social evening and organize dive trips and other activities. And it's free. One of our members is currently putting together a 3-day boat trip August 11th to SoCal.
Thanks again, I've joined the mailing list, pending approval:). Looks like I just missed the meeting, maybe I'll see you next month.

pjomm:
and I also like Shark Diver http://www.sharkdivermag.com/

All the best,

Paul

I should have mentioned that too. I do some writing for them from time to time, check out their latest issue, has been out about a month. You can learn "How to Shoot Sharks!"

Mike

I have heard that Undercurrent is slipping so I didn't subscribe. The PADI rag..it's ok but it leans more on the travel so I don't think I will renew. I think everybody else has pretty much hit it with the others.

shark.byte.usa:
That's a little drive, I'm on the West Side, but I'll check a Border's over here, thanks.
I am too, (Metrocenter) Actually I go to Borders sometimes after our club meeting, we normally meet at the Westside Grille at 24th/Camelback.
They've been great, I feel I've gotten the best training possible to this point.
I did my O/W there also. Still buy stuff there occasionally. Although they're a little pricey, one thing to Paul's credit is that he's recommended stuff that I've later found to be among the best available. On our side of town also try Scuba Specialties on Bell or El Mar in Mesa - it's a drive, but they have the best selection in town.
Thanks again, I've joined the mailing list, pending approval:)
You're approved - well as soon as David - our "leader" - reads his mail. We let anybody join.
Looks like I just missed the meeting, maybe I'll see you next month.
I did too, although I think a lot of folks did since it was between Buffett and U2. The group had a tailgate party at the Buffett show.

Steve

sjspeck:
Although they're a little pricey
Agreed, without my student discount I'd probably shop around more, my classmate did shop around a little, but found with the student discount it was the cheapest (at least for the BC), other DS offered to match the price, but what's the point of that. I'm buying a new BC, here soon before my checkout dives, and I'll probably make a few calls first.

I subscribe to SportDiver, Scuba Diving. When I am at my dive center i pick up Dive Training magazine which they give away for free. It has lots of good articles and practicle advice. The other two mags have nice equipment reviews, and some good pictures, and interesting articles about dive destinations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom