Good Lunch spots near the marina?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BTW, I've yet to be on a dive boat that didn't have snacks between dives. It's usually enough for me to make it until I can get a real lunch, but that would be a two-tank dive situation.

Usually when you need lunch, you are getting some afternoon dives in. In my experience, the ops I dive with drop people off at Money Bar and pick them back up on their way back south.

I like Money Bar, so that would work for me. Mmm...chicken nachos.

Yeah, we are trying to avoid eating at Money Bar every day, hence this thread. I prefer to eat with the locals when in Mexico, and I pretty much never order a burger or nachos unless it's last resort.

We'll check with the crew on the 3P boat every day to see how much time we have during lunch breaks. May be able to dash into town for some pollo asadero or something.

There are at least 3 places that could be "the marina": Puerto Abrigo in the north, the Caleta next to the Presidente, and the FONATUR marina just north of the Caleta. There are a couple of other candidates, but these are the ones that are "real" marinas by anyone's standards and where dive boats are involved. Caleta is where we nearly always get picked up and dropped off and these days has tons of parking right by the boats. Fonatur has more facilities but the parking can be pretty far away, and seems farther if you're lugging gear.

I get the sense that driving into town and having lunch at one of the hundreds of good places then driving back would involve a time crunch, but there are more options in town than you'll ever be able to try. There's a brief list of some good ones at Casa Suzana - Lunch

You could explore the various beach bars along the highway. Those are enough closer to Caleta and FONATUR that you'd likely have more time. I know at least some are open for lunch, though I don't know enough about any to recommend them.

You could take lunch with you. Many of the great things available for lunch sell out as to-go orders in the morning long before lunchtime. Lots of Mexicans buy lunch on their way to work in the morning. Think lechón al horno at Tamarindos on Saturday and Wednesday, or cochinita pibil on the remaining days, relleno negro every day. Tortas from all sorts of places - I'm especially partial to shrimp tortas from El Chino Marinero II or El Camarón Dorado. Empanadas, panuchos, salbutes, or chilindrinas from El Resbalón. The chicken places may be open early enough for you to take roast chicken with you - Rosticeria El Pechugón has roasted potatoes that sit under the chickens and basted in chicken fat which are amazing. The Mercado Municipal has places that sell cut fruit and a number of places that sell antojitos that you can get para llevar. In terms of a variety of good food taking lunch with you in the morning might be your best bet, but there won't be anyone bringing you ice-cold drinks (unless the posole Maya guy happens by) and the shade and seating options are limited.

We've bought lunch at the Caleta when a guy on a scooter is selling kibis or whatever, but that's always catch-as-catch-can. I wouldn't want to center lunch plans around that possibility.

My Mexican friends eat a ton of burgers and nachos, btw.

Is Gringo Food a thing in Mexico like Mexican Food is here? :D

Exactly. When I travel to Mexico, I want Mexican food, not the same food I can get at home. I had some Guatemalan friends who loved Taco Bell. Go figure.

You could take lunch with you. Many of the great things available for lunch sell out as to-go orders in the morning long before lunchtime. Lots of Mexicans buy lunch on their way to work in the morning. Think lechón al horno at Tamarindos on Saturday and Wednesday, or cochinita pibil on the remaining days, relleno negro every day. Tortas from all sorts of places - I'm especially partial to shrimp tortas from El Chino Marinero II or El Camarón Dorado. Empanadas, panuchos, salbutes, or chilindrinas from El Resbalón. The chicken places may be open early enough for you to take roast chicken with you - Rosticeria El Pechugón has roasted potatoes that sit under the chickens and basted in chicken fat which are amazing. The Mercado Municipal has places that sell cut fruit and a number of places that sell antojitos that you can get para llevar. In terms of a variety of good food taking lunch with you in the morning might be your best bet, but there won't be anyone bringing you ice-cold drinks (unless the posole Maya guy happens by) and the shade and seating options are limited.

We've bought lunch at the Caleta when a guy on a scooter is selling kibis or whatever, but that's always catch-as-catch-can. I wouldn't want to center lunch plans around that possibility.

My Mexican friends eat a ton of burgers and nachos, btw.
I have family in Merida that like American chain food. No accounting for taste.

I go to Mexico to dive, but also for the culture and the food mentioned above.

I'm lucky if I can make it down there once a year, so I try to make each meal count.

Yeah, we are trying to avoid eating at Money Bar every day, hence this thread. I prefer to eat with the locals when in Mexico, and I pretty much never order a burger or nachos unless it's last resort.

We'll check with the crew on the 3P boat every day to see how much time we have during lunch breaks. May be able to dash into town for some pollo asadero or something.

You should ask them what they do for lunch. If you offered to pay, you might be able to find someone to bring you something to the marina.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom