Good Inexpensive Camera for Beginner??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1amphibian

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I am looking for a good, relatively inexpensive camera for a beginner. Have been trying some very inexpensive cameras and they don't hold up for more than a dive or two.

Need your experience and advise on one that will be good to learn on and last for a little while, before we move up to a much more expensive one.

Thanks,

Chris

The DC500 is a nice, rugged 5.0 megapixel camera with a very nicely built housing. You can also buy the camera and add accessories as you go along. You can add an external flash, lenses, etc.

The best part....for under $500 you get an awesome digital camera and housing.

Canon A series...
Whenver you upgrade to a DSLR go Nikon though!!!:D

I guess it all depends on what you call inexpensive. I bought a Sony housing for my DSC-W7 digital camera off ebay for a little over $100. Granted, I already had the camera, which cost around $500 when I bout it...

1amphibian:
I am looking for a good, relatively inexpensive camera for a beginner. Have been trying some very inexpensive cameras and they don't hold up for more than a dive or two.

Need your experience and advise on one that will be good to learn on and last for a little while, before we move up to a much more expensive one.

Thanks,

Chris
I have a Canon S230 with a Canon underwater housing (WP-DC600) with extra CF flash cards and batteries that I'm looking to sell. It is in mint condition, I got a new Canon setup (SD550) that replaced it.
If your interested PM me...

I am not sure there is a such thing as a "good inexpensive " dive camera. Most cheap ones are very poorly built, and have less of the options you really need, like adjustable white balance. You get what you pay for. Been there, done that, then went out and spent some cash for a nice setup, and have been happy ever after. Some times you just have to bite the bullet and spend some cash.
I once bought one of those cheap underwater cameras, that you have to send the whole camera back to get your pictures, and you don't get the camera back afterwards. All the photos were bad, junk. I threw them all away. I just wasted my money there.

I understand the need to spend some money and don't have a problem with it. It sounds like the cannon A series or the sea life are nice camera's and we have looked at the sea life series several times, will check out the cannon's now.

Thanks,

Chris

After browsing SB and a couple local diving boards I landed on the Canon A520 and the Canon housing (WP-DC60) for it. I haven't used it yet (just showed up on the UPS truck a couple days ago) but I plan to use it for a trip to Tahiti and my diving around the Puget Sound area. The camera (including a big storage card, rechargeable battery package, ...) was under $200. My goal was to find something that had the right basic diving features (in this case it has an underwater setting as well as other popular features for diving) but not so expensive that I would want to eat my weights if the housing flooded and destroyed the camera. Also, as I am still a diving newbie I didn't (and have the buoyancy control of a rock :)), I wanted to start inexpensive in case it ended up taking a beating...

There are more recent models (A620 I believe) that sounded good as well, have more megapixels (A520 is 4MP),... I haven't gotten a strobe yet but will see how the camera does without one first in the Sound and go from there.

Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom