Good holiday destination for beginner diver and kids

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krypto

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I’m a single parent in Australia. I have a 14 year old daughter who has just done her open water and is gradually accumulating ocean dives locally (southern NSW) . I also have a 10 year old son who is a competent snorkeler, but not mature enough yet for scuba.
I’m looking for a good holiday destination that is moderately priced and can cater to a 10 year old with activities while allowing my daughter and I to do some suitable beginner dives. Looking for the tropical, warm and clear water experience on a healthy reef. Would be ideal if there was good shore snorkelling also to spend time in the water with son. Any recommendations / experience / tips?

From your location in Australia I would look at Bali! Check out Amed - good for snorkeling and shore diving apparently. We were supposed to be heading that way then Covid happened. Haven't been to Amed but we visited Tulamben and Candidasa a few years back. Great diving but not ideal for beach/ snorkeling.
Also worth looking at Gili Islands. Gili Air is wonderful. I'm not sure if Bali or Lombok have opened up to tourists yet though!?
North Sulawesi is also amazing. We went to Bunaken and Bangka island with our kids.
How about Philippines? I haven't been but may be worth some research.
A lot further afield, but Egypt would be perfect. Excellent snorkeling and shore diving and loads of beachfront hotels ideal for kids. We've been to Dahab, Sharm and Marsa Allam - each have various pros and cons but all have lovely reefs. N hemisphere autumn is ideal for Red Sea. Sea nice and warm (upper 20s) and air temps have cooled from the scorching summer!
Feel free to ask if you have any questions :)

Indonesia still requires 3 day of quarantine at the moment.
Both Philippines and Thailand are freely open to all fully vaccinated foreigner and no quarantine required.
If I have to bring a 12yrs old diver and a 10 yrs old snorkeller I will go to Thailand. East or West coast is totally depend on the time of the yr. Thailand is very tourist friendly but not much so for Philippines.
There is also a slight chance of typhoon in Philippines if you are unlucky.
Food is far far better in the Kingdom.

Thanks for both the above replies - I'm taking a look into those destinations. Ideally I'd like to go some time in the 2nd half of this year, but COVID may still dictate putting it off until next year. By 2nd half of this year daughter will be 15 and son will be 11.
Biggest challenge will probably be travelling as a single parent and having suitable supervised activities available for son at times I do a dive with daughter.
I would be comfortable with son doing a couple of 1-on-1 "Discover Scuba" dives with a good instructor - and that could be something that daughter and I could tag along with too so we do a dive together.

Thailand is also a good shout. We've been many times and are heading there again in April. As Centrals mentioned, make sure you choose your location based on time of year. Another thing to bear in mind is that the covid testing regime is currently pretty strict and expensive even for the fully-vaccinated, with a pre-flight PCR required and 2 PCR tests within the first 5 days of arrival (for UK residents at least). We're hoping it changes before we go! 🤞

My son did his first bubblemaker in Egypt in October. I was able to join them while my wife and younger son snorkelled above us. It was wonderful!!

Would love to know where you end up. Let us know!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom