Good Friend Almost Kills me with Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If they bolt and ascend to their death, you are covered.
Being covered is not my primary focus. Even then tho, a jury newly introduced to Boyle's Law and applications in this case might feel differently - that the scuba diver knew better but the breath holder did not.

Under what charge? Taking a breath from a diver at depth?

Stupid, maybe. Illegal... no.

-Charles
Assault. He ripped the reg out of my mouth. The funny part? He contacted the Ranger complaining about me. The Ranger came up to me and was starting to give me the third degree in front of my class. When I pointed out what he had done, the ranger asked him "Is this true?" They guy said yes, and the Ranger hand cuffed him there on the spot and led him off. The class clapped as they walked off with the guy protesting his innocence. :D I have no idea if charges were filed.

That was a long time ago... it took some effort to recall the gist of it, but it was worth it. Thanks for making me chuckle about the knuckle head once more.

Assault. He ripped the reg out of my mouth. The funny part? He contacted the Ranger complaining about me. The Ranger came up to me and was starting to give me the third degree in front of my class. When I pointed out what he had done, the ranger asked him "Is this true?" They guy said yes, and the Ranger hand cuffed him there on the spot and led him off. The class clapped as they walked off with the guy protesting his innocence. :D I have no idea if charges were filed.

That was a long time ago... it took some effort to recall the gist of it, but it was worth it. Thanks for making me chuckle about the knuckle head once more.
Good that he survived. What was his story/complaint? Can't imagine why the ranger was ragging you...?

Being covered is not my primary focus. Even then tho, a jury newly introduced to Boyle's Law and applications in this case might feel differently - that the scuba diver knew better but the breath holder did not.

I think you misunderstood. If you make the effort to ascend with the diver and you attempt to ensure that they don't hold their breath, then you've done all that you can do. The skin diver bolting on you is out of your control.

You didn't deny air to an out of air skin diver. You attempted to ascend properly with the diver while supplying them with air and ensuring they didn't get and ambulism.

I think that meets the criteria of "Reasonable and prudent."

But I do agree with you that in any situation like this, the primary concern is not whether you are "covered." It's keeping someone alive, stupid or not.

HM

Good that he survived. What was his story/complaint? Can't imagine why the ranger was ragging you...?
Don, if I remember rightly, I snatched back the reg before he could take a breath. My second is bungeed around my neck. He complained that I had endangered him by pulling the reg back. Alexander springs is only @ 25 foot deep and crystal clear. I watched him bob to the surface and give me the finger. I explained to the Ranger in graphic detail that allowing him to breath at depth was far more dangerous. The Ranger considered the two stories: one from a dufus and one from a Scuba Instructor. Remember what BOYLES law really stands for?

Breathe Or Your Lungs Explode Stupid!

If someone snatches a reg out of my mouth they better damn well be close to death, because if they aren't before they sure as hell will be after.

As for illegal conduct, in many places the public display of an obscene hand gesture (with the intent to harass annoy or alarm others) is considered disorderly conduct :wink:

I think you misunderstood. If you make the effort to ascend with the diver and you attempt to ensure that they don't hold their breath, then you've done all that you can do. The skin diver bolting on you is out of your control.

You didn't deny air to an out of air skin diver. You attempted to ascend properly with the diver while supplying them with air and ensuring they didn't get and ambulism.

I think that meets the criteria of "Reasonable and prudent."

But I do agree with you that in any situation like this, the primary concern is not whether you are "covered." It's keeping someone alive, stupid or not.

HM
It's interesting to see all of the views here and it just does not seem like a simple answer. I just would not want to donate unless I felt I could control the breath hold diver's ascent as I would fear s/he would be like me before scuba and not understand - but how can I control his/her ascent if he is not wearing a BC or anything else to grab? No, I am thinking I wouldn't allow, but follow the diver up to make sure s/he survives.

Even better than a BC.
Hold on to his/her swim suit. :D
There might be a "handle" underneath! :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

It's interesting to see all of the views here and it just does not seem like a simple answer. I just would not want to donate unless I felt I could control the breath hold diver's ascent as I would fear s/he would be like me before scuba and not understand - but how can I control his/her ascent if he is not wearing a BC or anything else to grab? No, I am thinking I wouldn't allow, but follow the diver up to make sure s/he survives.

You're right. No easy answer. I think I'll leave it up to the moment and the size of the eyes of the skin-diver. If they are huge and panicked, I'm probably going to try to help. If they look slanty and devious, I'm gonna smack them. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom