Good first tank..? To go to 100'???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divechk

Reaction score
i'm wondering what is a good first tank? hoping to take it down to 100'...soon. i have yoke on regs. need suggestions. thx!

Personally, I like HP130's as single tanks when boat diving. Beach diving, I use a HP119.

I reckon I could rattle off tanks...but that doesnt mean much. I believe your best bet is to get with someone who has several different types of tanks and do a dive or two on each. Different tanks affect your dive in different ways, such as trim, weighting, and tank-to-body size. Like I said, I dive a HP130, but when it's trimmed out right I smack my head on the first stage. I have long legs and a short torso. My favorite tank so far is the HP119. As for the 100fsw depth you want, I would plan your dive using your gas consumption rate to figure out how much gas you will need and go from there. I'd guess somewhere around 100cf with plenty left over but it's just that, a guess.

Some more knowledgable folk will chime in shortly..but I hope I helped!

i'm wondering what is a good first tank? hoping to take it down to 100'...soon. i have yoke on regs. need suggestions. thx!

It all depends....

You're only going to be at 100 feet for so long due to the NDL so other factors matter a lot.
*Will you be diving a nitrox mix? If so that will give you a greater NDL and drive a higher gas requirement
*What is you usage like?
*What is the topography of these dives? Up and down the rope or do you barrel down the slope and then make a leisurely meandering ascent?

With information like that you can calculate a gas requirement and get a size.

Next is proportion. A tall diver may like a 7-1/2 cylinder. A stout diver may like an 8 inch for it's shorter length.

While some may not prefer it a yoke can be used on any of the 3442 HP cylinders or you may choose a LP model. The LP cylinder will by bulkier but less expensive.

Going to 100 feet should get you thinking about reducndacy depending on circumstances.

Pete

Your asking this question means you may not be ready to go to 100' safely...going to that is not a real big deal,people do it every day. Its all about what is the reason/mission,how long you are planning to stay and what your air rate is,work load,etc..Get more experience first by diving or taking a advance class before going there.

You couldn't go wrong by getting a steel 100, everybody needs at least (1) 100 cu ft tank.
You will be able to remove 4 to 5#'s from your belt vs. an al tank.
The steel 100 is smaller than an al80, and gives you an added 23 cu ft of air.
I don't know your height or weight, but I think a 130 is too large for most ladies to dive.
Jim breslin

You couldn't go wrong by getting a steel 100, everybody needs at least (1) 100 cu ft tank.
You will be able to remove 4 to 5#'s from your belt vs. an al tank.
The steel 100 is smaller than an al80, and gives you an added 23 cu ft of air.
I don't know your height or weight, but I think a 130 is too large for most ladies to dive.
Jim breslin

I second that. I actually got a rid of my 80's and got 100's.

Jim breslin

While part of me wants to agree...I've seen some very slight women, however in great shape, slinging and hauling HP130's around as their preferred boat tank of choice. In fact...they made it look so easy I hit the gym harder.

Point is...gotta try it out!

Divechk,

First welcome to SB, and to diving. Looking at your profile information does not really reveal allot about yourself so that one can answer your question with the information they need. While some of the post above are correct, there could be some that would be detrimental to ya.

I think Scott M provided the best post. Why the rush? If there is truly a need, then great, however if your goal is to simply bust a hundred feet, then please take a step back and look at your dive plan and ask yourself "why?". It's great to set goals in overall diving, but you should never do so in a way that could place unnecessary risk. Some say goal oriented diving should be avoided all together.

Before you, or anyone on this list can truthfully answer your question, one would really need to know your SAC rate and body structure. I mean if your able to hump around a set of double 121's, then great. However, if your body does not support such heavy tanks, then you could consider something like a LP 85, 95 etc. etc. Or you can be like the majority of divers, buy yourself a cpl of good 80's and go dive! There is no reason a person can't dive a good dive plan within NDL using a simple run of the mill aluminum 80 tank.

Again, plan your dive with a goal other than trying to bust a certain depth. If chasing the lil critters down to a 100 or more feet is needed, then great, just use a good dive plan, know your air consumption rate, and how long your going to last at any given depth. You only can get than information through diving, diving, and more diving. You will ind that each and every dive your SAC rate will improve,allowing you to extend your dive time.

Find you a good buddy, practice your drills, make a plan and stick to it, but be ready to turn your dive for any reason, regardless if your goal has been met or not. As some say - plan your dive, and dive your plan!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom