Question Good diving places close in Manila vicinities

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Haiawata

Haiawata

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey fellow divers -
good time of the day. I will be in Philippines this June. Manila is not my favorite place for diving but if I stay there anyway before flying to other places; I want the time be spent well. I will be flexible with my schedule and driving to and from. Any suggestions on good spots and dive operations in Manila vicinities? All suggestions will be appreciated.

Happy Bubbles!

Batangas is within driving distance. I hear Anilao is nice.
I travel to the Philippines frequently to work in Manila and then dive. I try to get out of Manila is quickly as possible and get to one of the Islands with good diving. I have been to Puerto Galara which is a drive and then Ferry trip from Manila. I much prefer flying out to other islands, they are mostly an hour or so cheap flight away and easier to get to then trying to take a bus or ferry or Uber to places closer to Manila like Anilao and Subic.

I travel to the Philippines frequently to work in Manila and then dive. I try to get out of Manila is quickly as possible and get to one of the Islands with good diving. I have been to Puerto Galara which is a drive and then Ferry trip from Manila. I much prefer flying out to other islands, they are mostly an hour or so cheap flight away and easier to get to then trying to take a bus or ferry or Uber to places closer to Manila like Anilao and Subic.
Thanks Johnboy-
I travel to Philippines for diving for years, and I love Philippines with all my heart. Usually, I either skip Manila altogether, or stay for a night to sleep off the jet lag. This time I will stay in Manila for a few days before I go to other places, this is because of business. I need a place within 1-2 of car driving with a relatively ok diving for these few days.

Anilao might be an option.

Subic Bay is about a 3 hour drive by car or maybe 4+ by bus and the bus is easy. Most of the travel is toll-way. June is typically a good month for diving. There is a lot of information our website and please ask any questions. We're happy to help you out if you want to get a few dives in.

Attachments

• Mangos_Dive_Center_Subic_Bay_Philippines_Shipwrecks 2.jpg
    Mangos_Dive_Center_Subic_Bay_Philippines_Shipwrecks 2.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 50
The diving in Anilao is very good. It's known mostly for being one of the very best places for macro photographers, and has incredible diversity. The resorts there are strung out around the Mabini Peninsula north of Batangas, so about 2 hours or so from Manila.

anilao-area-2.png

Some of the resorts here are "isolated by terrain", and not on the ring road itself, and there is no appreciable nightlight or other tourist infrastructure. They are for divers who like to dive numerous times a day with a purpose more than casual divers. Some of the resorts are quite nice, but book up in advance...particularly on weekends due to proximity to Manila via the expressway.

anilao-area-1.png

However, according to reports from scientists yesterday, the recent oil spill of a full, un-permitted & and uninsured oil tanker off the Mindoro coast - which has mostly been drifting south toward Palawan - may soon impact the Puerto Galera - Verde Island - Batangas - Anilao area. This would be horrible, as it is a real center of biodiversity, and a very fragile ecosystem. Of course, there would also be the corresponding impact on diving and the local economies of those areas.

Right now it is NOT impacting the most popular diving areas, but the NE Monsoon (Amihan) is weakening, and some fear oil may start to propagate more to the north and west into the Verde Island passage between Batangas and Puerto Galera.

I'd recommend Anilao if you like quiet atmosphere keyed on diving / macro critters, but you may want to have reservations that can be changed if the situation goes downhill. Hope this helps.

Subic Bay is about a 3 hour drive by car or maybe 4+ by bus and the bus is easy. Most of the travel is toll-way. June is typically a good month for diving. There is a lot of information our website and please ask any questions. We're happy to help you out if you want to get a few dives in.
Can confirm. Just dove with this shop this week, and may again tomorrow. They have the wrecks, if that is an interest of yours. :thumb2: Subic Bay / Olongapo is not nearly as quiet as Anilao. Lots of local nightlife (if that is your thing), a recently added floating bar at Baloy Beach, and some good restaurants.

Thank you!

The diving in Anilao is very good. It's known mostly for being one of the very best places for macro photographers, and has incredible diversity. The resorts there are strung out around the Mabini Peninsula north of Batangas, so about 2 hours or so from Manila.

View attachment 774520

Some of the resorts here are "isolated by terrain", and not on the ring road itself, and there is no appreciable nightlight or other tourist infrastructure. They are for divers who like to dive numerous times a day with a purpose more than casual divers. Some of the resorts are quite nice, but book up in advance...particularly on weekends due to proximity to Manila via the expressway.

View attachment 774519

However, according to reports from scientists yesterday, the recent oil spill of a full, un-permitted & and uninsured oil tanker off the Mindoro coast - which has mostly been drifting south toward Palawan - may soon impact the Puerto Galera - Verde Island - Batangas - Anilao area. This would be horrible, as it is a real center of biodiversity, and a very fragile ecosystem. Of course, there would also be the corresponding impact on diving and the local economies of those areas.

Right now it is NOT impacting the most popular diving areas, but the NE Monsoon (Amihan) is weakening, and some fear oil may start to propagate more to the north and west into the Verde Island passage between Batangas and Puerto Galera.

I'd recommend Anilao if you like quiet atmosphere keyed on diving / macro critters, but you may want to have reservations that can be changed if the situation goes downhill. Hope this helps.
Thank you, this sure helps!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom