Good Dive Spot Near Austin?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good luck with that...

I was in Austin for 18 months and only dove once or twice. I took up mountain biking instead.

There are several good dive spots on Lake Travis. Mansfield Dam, Windy Point and Starnes Island to name a few. There is the Diving for Science class mentioned above. You can also do a dive in the San Marcos River, outside of Aquarena Springs. Not near as nice though. There is also diving at Canyon Lake and the Comal river. PM me, or check with some of the other LDS in town and see if there are any special dive events when you are going to be in town. At a minimum, we should be able to hook you up with a local diver.

Good luck with that...

I was in Austin for 18 months and only dove once or twice. I took up mountain biking instead.

I dive Lake Travis year-round. If anyone is looking for 50'-100' vis it's not the place for them. However, depending on the time of year you could have 10'-20' vis. You can hit depths to around 170' as well...if you're into that. If you like diving lakes you'll like Travis. A LOT of people dive it often...not just me. :wink:

If you don't dive lakes normally and you require clear water then look to the Comal River or booking a trip out in the Gulf. It's about a 3-hour drive to Freeport where you can take a trip out to the Flower Gardens on one of the Gulf Diving boats Gulf Diving LLC - Welcome!. Or if you want to do a little wreck or rig diving you can head to South Padre and dive some the wrecks out there including the Texas Clipper. The vis and weather should be pretty decent when you're here.

You can dive the Comal River. It's pretty clear usually...as long as we haven't received a bunch of rain. Aquarena Springs is out unless you get your Aquarena Science Diver certification ($220). You have to have that to dive there.

There are plenty of other lakes in the area that we dive. Send me a PM, or post again, when you're on your way. You'll be able to find plenty of folks to dive with you in the Austin area.

Gonna be in Austin in June and wanted to scope out a good dive spot nearby. Any suggestions?

I will dive with you locally. PM me and we will share contact information. This weekend I am busy, but maybe next weekend Lake Travis, or whenever you show up. Call me if you like.

I love diving Texas and the people that dive Texas are a great group of divers. I look forward to meeting and diving with you.

Regards,

Shawn O'Shea
512-968-8278

try under the train bridge at rio vista park on the san marcos river when a train is going over the bridge. you'll laugh so hard you'll wet your wetsuit.

I can still remember my dive under the train bridge when the train came over. Kongable, quite naturally, forgot to mention it in the pre-dive briefing. I thought I was a goner in 10' of water.

I can still remember my dive under the train bridge when the train came over. Kongable, quite naturally, forgot to mention it in the pre-dive briefing. I thought I was a goner in 10' of water.

yeah it's a blast! i haven't done it for awhile. i'm due.

richard seems to loving panama. he's geared up for carnaval.

Good luck with that...

Should have taken the course in San Marcos, great diving, the dives are free and they will fill your tanks when you are done. BTW, its the perfect place to practice cave/cavern diving, too bad you missed out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom