Good dive shops in St Croix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just a few more questions please:
Are there posted taxi rates? Can I find an approximation of a taxi ride from the airport to the area I'll be staying?

Will I need rock boots (like on Bonaire) for most of the shore diving-or is the shore a little more forgiving?

Do cell phones that work in the continental US work in St. Croix without any changes or will I have to make other arrangements?

TIA

Couv

Will I need rock boots (like on Bonaire) for most of the shore diving-or is the shore a little more forgiving?
Davis Bay, Cane Bay and Frederisksted Pier were where I did a shore dive each, and none of those posed any problems as far as rough iron shore calling for thick soles. DB and CB were sandy entry/exit, and the pier was giant stride in, then exit alongside rocks but I don't recall it being hard on the feet.

I'm not familiar with other shore diving sites there.

oh...one other thing. (Starting to sound like Inspector Columbo) Tank and weights-for shore diving, do they come as a package? Rented each day or per week?

thanks

Do cell phones that work in the continental US work in St. Croix without any changes or will I have to make other arrangements?
It’s the U.S. - they will work.
Tank and weights-for shore diving, do they come as a package? Rented each day or per week?
Only speaking for diving the pier - easy to rent tank/weights from Nep2tune Scuba and probably the others. Check their website or call them, but I believe you just have to return them by end of day..

Just a few more questions please:
Are there posted taxi rates? Can I find an approximation of a taxi ride from the airport to the area I'll be staying?

TIA

Couv
Where on the island are your staying? That will help with taxi rates, but safe to assume about $20-40/person. Airport is in the middle of the island which is convenient, but also not exactly next to the places where most people end up staying.

Don't need rock boots as others have mentioned. As a matter of fact, I was diving last week from shore and decided that I needed to put my thick boots in storage and get a lighter, more flexible pair for diving here regularly.

If you have a cell plan that uses Verizon, AT&T, or Sprint/T-Mobile you should be fine here with no changes to your plan. In some places you'll have a lack of coverage (e.g. extreme east end, sometimes around Cane Bay, etc), but usually you can find a signal most places on the island.

Strongly suggest light soled boots for the Pier. Even if you do a giant stride to get in, the exit is rocky and slippery. Lots of folks do it barefoot, but light boots make it much more comfortable/easy.

Same at Davis/Cane Bay - Maria removed a lot of sand and you can find paths that do not require boots, butt it is just easier if you have them.

Taxi rates are published - depending on where you are staying - I think the rates are up to $50 single or $25 per person with 2 or more - to the East End (farthest from airport).. Check out www.stcroixthisweek.com for lots of good island info - including Taxi Rates to various spots on the island (Page 52).

Just so you know - Nep2tune is used to Double Hose Regs - since I have regularly used my Kraken with them.. :)

I think it comes down to individual preference, but when we dove Northstar I had my 2mm tropical boots on and I was wishing I had thicker boots. Did not feel that way anywhere else we dove, but Northstar was our favorite reef/wall site that we dove (better than the boat dives we did) and I would definitely want thicker boots there next time (admittedly, I think my feet are a bit on the sensitive side).

For diving the pier, my 2mm boots seemed fine. For pier diving we got a 10 tank card for the 2 of us from Adventures in Diving STX for $70 which includes weights also and an 11th tank free. They were very nice and had a good place for us to gear up, and just a short walk to the Pier.

St Croix dive shops.
My grandson just finished his pool work and we are hoping to take him to St Croix in February. Looking for recommendations for a shop to do his open water dives. Probably not going t be staying in Frederiksted or Christiansted, but definitely want to dive both sides of the island.
One thing to consider that I don't think has come up yet in this thread....if he's only gotten his pool work done and needs to do his OW certification dives in St Croix, you'll need to find a shop that will accept a referral from his instructor/shop where he's taking his class and have an instructor available for your travel dates. Depending on which agency he is certifying through, PADI, SSI or other, that may determine your decision on which shop to use. There's a lot of good options on St Croix. Just something to think about. Have a great time! :)

Thank you all for taking the time to provide this invaluable information. It will take a lot of the guesswork out of an upcoming trip.

One thing I have not seen any mention of is crime. Is STX like Bonaire? I.e. where it is suggested to leave the truck unlocked with windows down? What are the standard precautions on St. Croix?

Thank you,

Couv

One thing to consider that I don't think has come up yet in this thread....if he's only gotten his pool work done and needs to do his OW certification dives in St Croix, you'll need to find a shop that will accept a referral from his instructor/shop where he's taking his class and have an instructor available for your travel dates. Depending on which agency he is certifying through, PADI, SSI or other, that may determine your decision on which shop to use. There's a lot of good options on St Croix. Just something to think about. Have a great time! :)
We have a referral from our local shop and are set up with a shop there. Unfortunately he now has covid, and won’t be able to make the trip! I have postponed his dives there and hopefully we’ll be able to do it at a later date

Back
Top Bottom