Good dive shops in St Croix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We have a referral from our local shop and are set up with a shop there. Unfortunately he now has covid, and won’t be able to make the trip! I have postponed his dives there and hopefully we’ll be able to do it at a later date
Aww, man. That's a bummer! Unfortunately, it's been happening. I've had to reschedule a few of my students and/or send them out with other instructors after they recover, etc. Hang in there! It'll be all worth it when you finally get to go and he gets his cert! :)

Thank you all for taking the time to provide this invaluable information. It will take a lot of the guesswork out of an upcoming trip.

One thing I have not seen any mention of is crime. Is STX like Bonaire? I.e. where it is suggested to leave the truck unlocked with windows down? What are the standard precautions on St. Croix?

Thank you,

Couv
I would say it depends where you are at. If parked in remote places like the trailheads to Jack/Issacs Bay or other remote places on the island with limited visibility to your vehicle from where you are at, we do keep our Jeep unlocked and windows down. Most other places we don't need to. We don't keep expensive possessions in our Jeep at anytime, so our real risk is broken windows. Its only an issue at the more remote places.

Current water temperature anyone?

I was out on a shallow dive last week and my dive computer showed 78. That is pretty normal for here this time of year (77-78 degrees). Most of us wore 3mm and did fine. A few were cold but we are all local so this is chilly for us. Probably had to do with it being a long (90+ minute) working dive (restoring coral and cleaning our u/w coral nursery) and an overcast, windy morning. I regularly snorkel in the same water in just my bathing suit and do fine.

Another question, what about snorkeling or diving at Salt River Bay at night?

Another question, what about snorkeling or diving at Salt River Bay at night?
I personally haven’t heard of anyone diving or snorkeling within the reef at Salt River other than a few exploratory dives on some older wrecks buried in the mud where the boats currently tie up. However, kayaking the bioluminescence lagoon at Salt River at night is a big attraction. It’s one of the few natural bioluminescence lagoons in the world and there are tours during the times of the month when it isn’t a full moon. Also, diving in the canyon outside Salt River is one of the best dives on the island. It’s a dramatic wall dive with great coral life, lots of sea life and the wall drops steeply down to 4,000+ feet. Although I haven’t done it yet, it could be a dramatic night dive although would have to be done by boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom