Good Dive Location in Malaysia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nikk

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am going to be in KL for meetings from April 2-5 and would love to add on 3-4 days worth of diving after that. Any suggestions?

Go to Perhentian! Very easy to get to from KL, either fly, bus or train. I was there last weekend and the diving is great although April will be much better viz. I can recommend www.alualudivers.com

nikk:
I am going to be in KL for meetings from April 2-5 and would love to add on 3-4 days worth of diving after that. Any suggestions?

If you are into wreck diving we have a trip departing Johore Bahru for the Tioman area wrecks on 8 April.

Greg

Manta girl thanks for the feedback - how long would it take me to get to the Perhentians from KL?

gxdoyle, ive never done any serious wreck diving (dived one wreck) but i am a cmas 2* diver. how challenging is the wreck diving you guys are planning to do?

I spent a week diving Tioman in 1999 - it was great. Stayed at the Berjaya Beach Resort (dirt cheap as I recall and reasonably nice) and dove with the diveshop on the resort. I think they were considered a little expensive for the island but the service was some of the best I've ever experienced.

The diving was very relaxing - mix of reef and drift dives. Lots of life - reef sharks, turtles, eels, rays, #### heads, and the normal mix of critters. The crew says they have an occassional Manta sighting there but we weren't fortunate enough. The resort also has an 18 hole golf course if you happen to have that addiction as well.

There are loads of choices. All along the east coast from Tioman to Perhentian. With the NE wind still blowing a bit, I'd stay on the leeward side of Perhentian Kechil(little). Not as developed as the big island but also not as choppy and windy. There are rooms with a/c on the island if you need them. The diving is ok but viz is variable.
Closest to KL (about 2-3 hrs drive + ferry ride) is Pulau Tenggol. The coral growth and fishlife are ok and the topography is nice too. It can be very crowded.
As the others have said, Tioman, Rawa, Aur are nice diving but a bit further from KL. The easiest place to get to is Langkawi, a direct flight. It is crowded but the Paya Marine Park have some nice coral growth.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Have decided on Little Perhentian - will let you'll know how it went. I'm really looking forward to it!

nikk:
gxdoyle, ive never done any serious wreck diving (dived one wreck) but i am a cmas 2* diver. how challenging is the wreck diving you guys are planning to do?
Sorry for the late reply (have been off diving!)

That particular week the wrecks are 40-60 meters deep. The trip is suited to experienced wreck divers capable of doing decompression dives. There are other recreational wreck trips at other times...

I hope you enjoy Perhentians - it is fantastic there..happy diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom