Good dive light that won't break the bank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NewbieToDiving

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I've seen multiple lights that are over 100$ I'm going to do mostly lake and large pong diving. I just need to see in darker water. Thanks!

DRIS 500 & 1000 lumen "back up" lights would top my list for utility & budget. Also, the UK SL-4 (LED)... the list can go on, and on, and on... These are a couple I like (so far)

I have a few of the DRIS 100 Lumen lights. My dive buddies have a few as well. Nice lights.

+1 for the DRIS lights!

Lakes and ponds usually have marginal visibility i.e lots of particulate so what ever you get try for a narrow beam (6-8 would probably be best) otherwise the light will bounce back, think high beams in fog. If however the water in your lake/pond is crystal clear ignore this post. Intova make some pretty good cheap lights as do Dorcy. I have no knowledge of the DRIS lights but will check them out. Dive Gear Express have a nice range of cheaper lights. Good luck.

I picked up the TrustFire TR-J1 with 2 rechargable batteries for $45 on eBay. Made it from Hong Kong to Texas in about 2 weeks.

Here's a review:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/lights/419285-trustfire-tr-j1-review.html

It's amazing the quality you can get for that low price point.

I also have the DRIS 1000. I didn't want to put all my eggs in one basket. That said, part of me wishes I bought 2 Trust Fires and not the DRIS 1000. It's a great light, but I like the rechargable batteries better. ( Less $$$ over the long run. )

I purchased a Dorcy Dive II as my first light in 2010 from LED Flashlights, LED Lantern & Headlamps by Dorcy. I purchased a second Dorcy Dive II in 2011, and both units live on as my backup lights to this day. Great lights! Tight focus, eight hour battery life, and 220 lumens in a small double-o-ring aluminum housing. This is the same light as the "Penetrator" series sold through Piranha Dive Mfg.

Another vote for the DRIS 1000 lumen, its a great light. I also have the Dorcy light, if size is an issue you might consider them. Either way you will be happy, I have 2 of each and havent thought of selling any of them.

Back
Top Bottom