Good dive Computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drew52:
Another interesting point as far as I've read. Most dive computers are actually made by the same company (Seiko I think) so... I guess it doesn't really matter on the brand. The computers are just made for the different companies with slightly different features and algorithms so I guess choose one that looks good to you or whatever works for the diving you are doing.
Close, but no banana. There's definitely more than one company. The rest of your point has merit, of course.

There are only a few computer manufacturers. Everything else just slaps their badge on an OEM model: 1-Uwatec, 2-Suunto, 3-Pelagic (makes Oceanic, Aeris and others), and 4-Seiko (Dive Rite, Apeks, Cressi and Tusa). After that, you're getting into tiny companies making niche products (mostly for hard-core tech divers).

I'd rank the manufacturers as follows: (my opinion only)

1) Uwatec (just my personal fave. free batteries for life!)
2) Oceanic (best overall, if Uwatec is out of the equation)
3) Suunto (I don't care for them, as their tables are super-conservative with no proven benefit other than shorter dives, but they do make good, solid computers)
4) Everyone else.

I like Sunto Mosquito

If you are a computer geek the Uwatec probably gives you the best interface with a pc. after every dive i download the information chart my dive see what i did wrong and right and then e-mail it to my buddy.

Take a look at the vt pro... with the VT3 out now that computer is closr to your price range... Any problems ask the guys in the Oceanic Q&A forum for help. This is why i support Oceanic above all. They are hell bent on good customer service.

I like my Atmos 2 with compass, gauge and knife, very good design, easy to use.
The quick disconnect feature is great for saving it from being banged up by not so carefull gear handlers on dive boats.
The PC software could use an uprade IMO.

builder2000:
If you are a computer geek the Uwatec probably gives you the best interface with a pc. after every dive i download the information chart my dive see what i did wrong and right and then e-mail it to my buddy.
I agree, It is nice to be able to load your buddy's profile over your own chart and compare the two. I especially like the "workload" graph that shows your estimated respiration rate at any given pint in the dive.

Having compared software packages for Suunto, Oceanic and Uwatec, the lastter seems to have the most information up-front in graph format. Being able to make annotations along any point in the graph, combined with the rest of the info makes this very convenient for future reference.

PS- Thanks for the profiles "buddy".

I use the uwtec smart tec" big bucks" but I'll never have to buy another computer again. Free batt is good replaceable screen is nice to. Abit hard to get used to all the features. "I think the darn thing also turns on your car to :lol: " It has a very nice screen to good luck ...Mark M

Back
Top Bottom