Good Digitals with xternal flashes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CincyBengalsFan

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I own the original SeaLife Digital not the latests that came out last year. I'm happy with my shots but not totally satisfied. I use a SeaLife 35mm with external flash also and they pics turn out great. Much better than my digital. The SeaLife Digital is 1.3 mp.

I know Canon sales an underwater digital but the housing alone costs over $200.00.

Has anyone used the Canon series for underwater shots and does it have the options of external flashes?

What other underwater digitals are out there that people have had extreme success with?

Canon had some very good cameras for underwater use and good housing to go with them. $200 for a housing is relatively cheap! Canon and Oly housings are in the same ballpark and the next choice up the scale is Ikelite starting around $600, so be glad you have that $200 option. I'm an Oly fan but I would not hesitate to have a Canon from the reviews, reports and photos I've seen of them.

Are you using an external strobe or internal flash with your SeaLife Digital? An external strobe makes all the difference in the world.

I started last week just using the internal flash but later switched and put the external flash on. I'm a 100% amatuer at photography but really enjoy it. I new 200 smackers was cheap for a housing but if the canons sucked then what good would the housing be for it. Especially if I can't get an external flash for the canon.

With the way technology changes everyday I may just wait and purchase another in a year or two. Probably be up to 10 megapixels for cheap by then.

Thanks for your input.

I'm not up on all the ins and outs of Canons but I know there are 2 strobes can that be used with fiber optic connections...the INON D-180 and S&S YS90DX. They are both great strobes but you're gonna pay $500 +/- for both. Any brand you find cheaper isn't going to be strong enough to do the job. Some of the Canons are really good cameras, way better than any thing Sealife has. You just need to decide how much you want to spend to put a rig together.

Oly just released a 8 MP camera so you may not have long to wait! :wink:

Thanks for the info. Our camcorder crapped out on us this week. So I might as well look for one of those that comes with a nice housing before I think about another digital. I just love the still shots. We were on Mt. Alveria (Highest point in the Bahamas) on Monday morning and the dag gone camcorder decided not to work. But the view is something I'll never forget. We took some black and white photos up there that I pray turn out great tomorrow when we get our pics back.

I really enjoy my Canon S45. I have absolutely no complaints at all.

However... I am SERIOUSLY tempted by the Canon S1 IS (image stablization and 10x zoom) that is just coming out so it might be for sale before long.

Seriously - the S50, as it is now, is a first class package. I have not forked out for an external flash yet but I am happily suprised by the quality of the internal flash.

Here are a couple of my albums - all taken with the S45

http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=18v7qus9.c5psuq9&x=0&y=-v9cwk0

http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=18v7qus9.w0dlyp5&x=0&y=5k5ixo

I hope the links work....

Cool, thanks.

Great pics, Graham! Looks like you and Jan had a great time.

We use a Canon S50, the Canon u/w housing made for it and the Sea & Sea YS25DX external strobe. It's a great package. If you think $200 is expensive for an u/w housing, take a look at some of them. Often the housings cost more than the camera does. The YS 25 is probably a bit underpowered, so the YS90DX might be a better choice. Either way, it's a dynamite package.

Let's get wet! :palmtree:
Eric.

I know how much housings cost. I've in the dive shop business for nearly a decade now. I just never got into the photography side of it.

My point was....That if the cannon sucked....Then the $200.00 for the housing would be a total waste of money.

And everyones input on the Canon's and others has been awesome...Thanks again guys.

Back
Top Bottom