Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Bad Deal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dude you should have just stayed at home

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shark.byte.usa

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ok, so I went to a local LDS's Auction Night, at a bar (convenient) next door to the shop. Good time, a few beers, free pizza, few laughs and lots of gear (new and used).

I went there on a mission to get a tank, not being all that picky, I'm a new diver,
and maybe a couple other things.

They auctioned off 4 tanks (all visually inspected this month)
ST72 70.00 I won (Hydro'd this month)
ST72 60.00 I won (Hydro'd this month)
AL90 130.00+ Can't remember didn't bid
ST72 50.00

So basically I spent 130.00 for two tanks (avg. $65.00/ea). So did I get a good deal, so-so deal, bad deal or what, I have no idea.

Funny thing is these tanks were manufactured in 72', the year I was born, I found that a little ironic.

Thanks

shark.byte.usa:
Ok, so I went to a local LDS's Auction Night, at a bar (convenient) next door to the shop. Good time, a few beers, free pizza, few laughs and lots of gear (new and used).

I went there on a mission to get a tank, not being all that picky, I'm a new diver,
and maybe a couple other things.

They auctioned off 4 tanks (all visually inspected this month)
ST72 70.00 I won (Hydro'd this month)
ST72 60.00 I won (Hydro'd this month)
AL90 130.00+ Can't remember didn't bid
ST72 50.00

So basically I spent 130.00 for two tanks (avg. $65.00/ea). So did I get a good deal, so-so deal, bad deal or what, I have no idea.

Funny thing is these tanks were manufactured in 72', the year I was born, I found that a little ironic.

Thanks
If you're happy with the price, you got a good deal. My LDS had a couple for 79.00 each a few week ago (the paintballers bought them). The question is, what are you going to do with these 72s?

As a new diver, you're not going to double them. If your sac is close to you're buddies, you'll shorten their dive a bit.

I learned to dive on 71.2s in the early '70s, so when I see 'em, I get kinda' misty-eyed.

Enjoy!

Rick Inman:
If you're happy with the price, you got a good deal. My LDS had a couple for 79.00 each a few week ago (the paintballers bought them). The question is, what are you going to do with these 72s?

As a new diver, you're not going to double them. If your sac is close to you're buddies, you'll shorten their dive a bit.

I learned to dive on 71.2s in the early '70s, so when I see 'em, I get kinda' misty-eyed.

Enjoy!
Well Rick, dive or course :wink: Seriously, no I'm not going to double them and to tell you the truth, I don't even know why I got the 2nd one. I understand my dives may be shortened a bit. I went there with the intention of buying an AL80, I didn't see the AL90 (It was hiding), so I thought the ST72 was my only option, if I had seen the AL90, I would have just bid on it. Besides, if I'm unhappy I suppose I can sell em off, maybe I'll do that with the 2nd one anyway :)

Rick Inman:
....the paintballers bought them
Rick, this got me thinkin, so I'm trying to unload these on some paintballers for a profit :eyebrow: . If I'm successful, I'll probably get an LP95 or something from www.scubatoys.com, I really don't need 2 tanks. Thanks for getting the gears churnin' :wink:

shark.byte.usa:
Rick, this got me thinkin, so I'm trying to unload these on some paintballers for a profit :eyebrow: . If I'm successful, I'll probably get an LP95 or something from www.scubatoys.com, I really don't need 2 tanks. Thanks for getting the gears churnin' :wink:

FWIW, I use ST72 when diving with folks bigger than me or working with a class for a couple of reasons. Large folks = large lungs = shorter dive time. Same goes with newbies. The Steel tanks means less weight to carry: with the 72 on, I dive with only 10 pounds in a 7 mil farmer john. Makes for a nice experience, weight wise.

Also, I have found it nice to have spare tanks about. Never know when a night dive opportunity may arise with no provision for filling that tank that you just haven't gotten around to getting filled...

--divetahoe

divetahoe:
FWIW, I use ST72 when diving with folks bigger than me or working with a class for a couple of reasons. Large folks = large lungs = shorter dive time. Same goes with newbies. The Steel tanks means less weight to carry: with the 72 on, I dive with only 10 pounds in a 7 mil farmer john. Makes for a nice experience, weight wise.

Also, I have found it nice to have spare tanks about. Never know when a night dive opportunity may arise with no provision for filling that tank that you just haven't gotten around to getting filled...

--divetahoe
Good points, compared to my fellow (male) students, my SAC is far better, and not that bad compared to most according to my Instructor. We used ST72's in class and on the boat on our OW dives. If my little scheme works out, cool, if not I'm cool with that too, would I have liked a little bigger tank, sure. I figured having 2 would save me from having to get fills on every SI.

Double those puppies up and you have some nice inexpensive lightweight doubles. Plenty of gas for two shore dives :wink:

If you dive any place where there aren't fills on site it's nice to have more than one tank. Depending on the dives and the length of the trip, maybe lots more than one.

I don't think there's anything at all wrong with a steel 72. I understand how al tanks got so popular in the tropics (they're cheap and light) but around here where you need a heavy wet suit or a dry suit they don't really make much sense yet every one is using.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom