Good cold water gloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kennyscot

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I usually dive dry (Bare XCD2 Tech)...Lake Tahoe. Temps range from 60 near the surface and at depth (60-80 feet) can be close to 40. In winter temps are 38-42. Haven't found a set of gloves yet that can handle the cold real well. I've got a good collection now and none seem to do a good job. I currently use a pair of Bare gauntlet style but hands still occasionally still get cold. When diving in wet suit I use a pair of "waterproof brand" gloves with same results. Thinking about installing a set of dry gloves on the dry suit. There has to be a set of really good gloves out there somewhere. There are too many people diving in cold water.

Have you tried the Henderson Gold Core 6.5mm gloves? I used to dive a pair of those down to 40F.

Cheers.

-J.-

Wet gloves can keep your hands functional down into the freezing range, but the only way to stay comfortable is dry gloves.

Get the dry gloves and use regular gloves in them (I use thinsulate-lined shooting gloves) if the liners aren't warm enough. You won't be sorry. I think I paid about $250 for my dry gloves/rings and it was worth EVERY penny!
Ber :lilbunny:

The Waterproof is warmer than the Henderson Gold Core. I've used both. If the Waterproof is not cutting it, go to dry gloves.

I use dry gloves here on the California Coast, in order to keep my arthritic hands warm. Our club is going to make a trip to Tahoe this summer for some diving, and it will definetely be drysuit with extra undies and maybe an extra layer in the dry gloves for me.

Dry gloves can be had for $140, but if I had to do it over again, I would get the Viking brand. I believe it was Bob3 on this board that sells Viking, but not sure. Also removable liners are the way to go.

Peter_C:
Dry gloves can be had for $140, but if I had to do it over again, I would get the Viking brand. I believe it was Bob3 on this board that sells Viking, but not sure. Also removable liners are the way to go.

You are correct, Bob3 is a Viking dealer and he's great to work with.
Ber :lilbunny:

A lot of guy up here use the three finger mitts. I've been diving 5mil Kevlar Bare gloves and after about half an hour the old fingers start to numb up.

I just bought a drysuit and will see how it works with wet gloves. I did by Zip Seals for my neck and wrists, so I'll pop those babies on if need be.

just go gloveless.

When I dive Tahoe in the summer, gloves are not needed I have never dove Tahoe in the winter though. I guess the 42 degree water might require gloves. Monterey year round, I only wear gloves on the 3rd or higher dive of the day.

John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom