good camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

danielprasch

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
hello i am new to under water photo and film, how ever i am a filmmking student. i am looking for recommendations on underwater cameras. i would like to beable to take stills and 4k video. as i am new to this i dont want to spend to much. i was thinking of just getting a housing for my BMPCC but they are around 2k

You'll be looking at close to $2k for a camera and housing you would like anyway (assuming a film student will want full manual controls and swappable lenses). If they make a housing for your current camera, I'd go with that. The closest you'll probably get for less than a $2k housing is something along these lines: Olympus PEN E-PL10 Camera & 14-42mm EZ Lens Kit with Backscatter Octo Underwater Housing

Or go used, which can save a bunch. Check out Wetpixel.com for used setups.

If you just want to give UW a try to see if you like it, get a GoPro with housing and tray/arms. It won't do what you want, but it will tell you if UW photo/video is what you want to do, and afterward either way you'll have a gopro.

Lighting will be above and beyond any of these options and will cost as much as the camera and housing.

If you like your camera, just get the housing for it. Compared to what you are used to, the GoPro is a toy.
You've got a couple of $2k models, then a Lexus (the Seacam) then a Porsche (the Nauticam).
Forget the flexible plastic bag model.

You'll spend the 2k anyway if you replace the camera and get a housing unless you go really low-end.

You might consider a Sony RX100V package as it has excellent video and is smaller and easier to handle for a newer diver like yourself. However it shoots excellent video_Once you get into interchangeable lens systems you'll be over your budget pretty fast.

Something like this:
Nauticam Sony RX100V & Kraken 5000+S Light/Strobe Package

The Kraken light can also shoot stills with it's burst mode and the 5K Lumen light is plenty powerful. You can add another light, wide angle lens, etc to expand your system in the future.

Jack

If you think the Nauticam is the Porsche, I would think that the Secam must be the Lamborghini (not the Lexus):p
the Seacam is at least 35% more expensive than the equivalent Nauticam. They are Really proud of their stuff.
Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom