Good budget regulator set

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Only thing to verify is that Northeast is a licensed Aqualung Dealer - otherwise yours might not be able to service it due to his Aqualung agreement - they used to be prettty fussy about that.

check the dealer locator at aqualung.com

Only thing to verify is that Northeast is a licensed Aqualung Dealer - otherwise yours might not be able to service it due to his Aqualung agreement - they used to be prettty fussy about that.

check the dealer locator at aqualung.com

Northeast as well as my local are both authorized. I also messaged my local shop on Facebook about servicing Cressi regs, but I have no problem buying Aqualung if it stays in budget.

If you want cheap, then look no further than Divers' Supply. Sea Elite is their house brand, but I think these regs will take a HOG service kit. If you are interested in used then I have an AL Titan and a SEAC. They are new (never been dived) but have been stored.

This is the one I have been using since I started diving. It's bulletproof and reliable. Dove it to 130' in 43°F water - no problems. Dove it while rolling milfoil mats - huge silt stirred up - internally clean after rinsing and no problems during diving. It's a simple service that you can easily do yourself and the service manual is on-line.

Cressi XS2/AC2 Piston Regulator

@EvilKidsMeal There is nothing wrong with either Mares or Cressi, they are Italian brands that are more popular in Europe than in the US. The main drawback is their dealer network is not as large as either Aqualung's or Scubapro's. I am not sure where you are diving, but if you travel and experience a problem you may have difficulty finding service. If you are looking for a first and second in the $200 range, then in my opinion the Sherwood Magnum at Leisurepro would be a better choice.

If you want cheap, then look no further than Divers' Supply. Sea Elite is their house brand, but I think these regs will take a HOG service kit. If you are interested in used then I have an AL Titan and a SEAC. They are new (never been dived) but have been stored.

I bought the Sea Elite budget set (reg + BC) with the covert regulator upgrade (balanced reg). The set has worked great for our local quarry diving. They also sell the covert regulator on its own it as a budget regulator set with gauges. No complaints -- no shiny metal, but they have worked fine for us. For service, you either have to send it in to Divers Supply or check with your local shops to see if they are willing to do it.

I cant help you. I recently bought our regulators brand new I spent 575 plus 7.15 shipping on my off ebay from a scuba shop with warranty everywhere else wanted 785. And I order husbands from European outdoors online they are a licensed store to. His I paid 499 everywhere else wanted 599 or more for that color.
Mine is Aqualung Legend LX Twilight Yoke Regulator his is the same but blue.

I recommend checking to see if your local shop will service HOG (or Deep Six set from other post). The Mikron does not have the venturi on/off lever adjustment. This is not a major deal if you are using the Mikron as the primary all the time. It is nice to have it off when the octo is hanging out. The HOG is bigger and a little heavier. You could buy a HOG first and second and then buy a Mikron octo then have both. You can decide later what works best as a primary or secondary second stage. I recently picked up the octo for under $150, new. All suggested options seem good to me. I don't recommend not picking up a used set as a first purchase. Eventually you may get involved into servicing your own regs but I see you wanting to buy a set and just jump in and dive it.

To myself, two very simple features found on many modern regulators make a group as top performers with difficulty in distinguishing differences.
1.) Barrel/poppet second stage- Before this design came out, many seconds were the "single lever downstream" design. After the barrel poppet design (some companies call it a "pneumatically balanced second stage") came out, nearly every company released their own version of it. I have trouble naming a current company that does not have a version of this.
2.) Balanced (or overbalanced) diaphragm first stage with a membrane sealed environmental seal/guard/cap-A lot of regulator companies also offer this. The balanced design is almost a sure thing but not the environmental seal. Keep in mind that many (other posters please fact check me!) regulator first stages operate in the 140-150 psi range. This means the seconds paired with them will be often interchangeable with other first stages.

If you have the two above features and the availability to get them serviced (or by yourself), then you actually have a lot of options. My personal favorite is the Hollis DC-(1,2,or 3) with the 212 second (not the 221). There are sellers on Ebay selling them for under $200. The 212 second is light and relatively compact. Some don't like the exhaust directions but I get lots of use from my rig. The HOG, Legend and Apeks ATX seconds that I have don't seem to be that much different other than size and minor ergo variation.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom