Good budget regulator set

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EvilKidsMeal

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've been PADI AOW certified for about 12 years now, but only recently have been able to start buying my own equipment.

The next thing I'm looking at is a regulator set. I peg my current budget at around $400.

A few Cressi offerings caught my eye. Both sets I found on Leisure Pro had the XS Compact 2nd stage and octo, with the difference being the 1st stage in each set.

Are these Cressi regs decent? I want something that can be serviced for years to come and fit my budget. Any other recommendations around that price?

This was the set that first caught my attention: Cressi XS Compact MC5 Regulator & Octopus

I am an Ebay sniper. I actually just bought a B2 for that much yesterday that was used in a pool once. If you can find someone that tried diving and maybe didnt like it after 15 dives or so you can make them an offer and get really good deals. I bought another B2 today but it had a vyper on it so it was 700. Still a smoking deal I think, you can see in the pics mouthpiece is still brand new.

Or go new, if you start going to the boundaries of rec limits you might want a really sweet reg. Which is usually closer to 700 bucks.

Hope this helps.

Make sure you have a dealer nearby for the last two suggested by runsongas ^^. For Deeo6 that can be any dealer willing to service your regs since they provide the parts kit with purchase. Hog has less dealers than some brands but could be an option if you have one locally. They seem weaker outside the U,S.

Of the options listed so far - I'd buy the Mikron. It's a better quality reg than the Cressi and their dealer network is about the best. Plus they've been around for decades.

If it's just the 1st/2nd stage for $400 and can stretch to $439 - https://www.leisurepro.com/p-atmz2s/atomic-aquatics-z2-regulator- it breathes as good as their $1600 T3 - the difference is the metal used - Z stands for Zirconium plated brass.

Two year factory recommended service interval so over time that saves you a little - labor not parts are the cost of reg service though.

If the $400 is for everything - nothing wrong with the Cressi. I actually think they're a good value for the money since they're not as widely distributed here. Again - have a local dealer?

Make sure you have a dealer nearby for the last two suggested ^^. For Deeo6 that can be any dealer willing to service your regs since they provide the parts kit with purchase. Hog has less dealers than some brands but could be an option if you have one locally. They seem weaker outside the U,S.

Of the options listed so far - I'd buy the Mikron. It's a better quality reg than the Cressi and their dealer network is about the best. Plus they've been around for decades.

If it's just the 1st/2nd stage for $400 and can stretch to $439 - https://www.leisurepro.com/p-atmz2s/atomic-aquatics-z2-regulator- it breathes as good as their $1600 T3 - the difference is the metal used - Z stands for Zirconium plated brass.

Two year factory recommended service interval so over time that saves you a little - labor not parts are the cost of reg service though.

If the $400 is for everything - nothing wrong with the Cressi. I actually think they're a good value for the money since they're not as widely distributed here. Again - have a local dealer?

There's a local shop my parents and I started going to but they are an Aqualung and Mares dealer. They service whatever they can though.

I'm trying stay around $400 with everything if possible. Obviously, I don't want crap gear though. I am really only just getting back into diving and my budget won't allow for top of the line gear. I'm perfectly fine with good quality basic rec gear.

These will push you $40 over budget but it's a decent set - mine are similar. They're slightly smaller than standard but still easy to read.

Cressi Mini Pressure Gauge

These will push you $40 over budget but it's a decent set - mine are similar. They're slightly smaller than standard but still easy to read.

Cressi Mini Pressure Gauge

I was looking for a pressure and compass combo actually. My dad bought a new set of Aqualung regs and gave me the i100 computer he got for $0.75 with the current deal so I don't need a depth gauge.

Was probably looking at the Mares Mission 2c because I like the multiple tether points on that one compared to the comparable Cressi.

Since you have an Aqualung dealer nearby - I'd look hard at that Mikron - it's a better brand, lighter in your mouth and for travel and a good price since there's a new 2018 model coming out - $500 for just the 1st/2nd - no octo..

Since you have an Aqualung dealer nearby - I'd look hard at that Mikron - it's a better brand, lighter in your mouth and for travel and a good price since there's a new 2018 model coming out - $500 for just the 1st/2nd - no octo..

The one posted above? That is an awesome deal...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom