Good books on maritime history?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Logic Theorist

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
This is semi-diving related, but I figured it went here anyway...

I've always been really interested in wreck diving, but as I'm looking at more and more wrecks that I want to dive I'm realizing I would also like a good background in maritime history. To that end, can anyone recommend some good books on the subject? Anything from basic overview style books to specific locations/wrecks/time periods would be of interest to me.

Website recommendations are also welcome, but I'm mostly looking for something I can read while taking the train to and from work.

Thanks!

Doesnt really mention any wrecks but if you want maritime history then you have to get a book called "to rule the waves" http://www.amazon.com/Rule-Waves-British-Shaped-Modern/dp/0060534249 it was an amazing book for me, but I'm really into my naval hisory, even more so into my british naval history (no-ones had a navy that could hold its own for that long) + my family was in the navy in both world wars (submarine fleet and surface fleet). Really good book tho, I swear by it. Another good book is "trafalgar" by roy adkins. I got way more to list but these are 2 good ones.

chris

I seriously read about a book a week, so feel free to do an extended list.

I'll probably pick both of those up Friday (assuming my local Borders has them) and be done with them in 2 weeks. :D

ok here we go

nelsons purse

nelson a dream of glory (i got a few books of nelson, a hero of mine)

patrick o'brian (has good books on fiction from around 1800's, he did master and commander)

under the black flag

the silent landscape (1872 mission of hms challenger to explore the sea bed)

Those are a few of the ones sitting on my bookself, as you can tell im really into the age a sail.

Chris

I picked up Nelson's Trafalgar, but couldn't find the other one.

I also got Shadow Divers by Robert Kurson, anyone else read this?

Shadow Divers was very entertaining. I also liked Dark Descent about the Empress of Ireland and Last Descent about the u-who.

If you are interested in some wrecks that are closer to home and easier to dive you should check out The Raising of the Queen by Jerry Korn or Until the Sea Shall Set Them Free by Robert Frump. Korns book is about raising the stern section of the African Queen (the bow section is still on the bottom). Frumps book is about the sinking of the Marine Electric. I haven't read either books, but have heard good things about them and after diving on both wrecks I am interested in learning more about their story. Hope this helps.

I finished the audio book, "The Pirate Coast" by Richard Zacks. Thomas Jefferson, the First Marines and the secret mission of 1805. Barbary Coast, Eaton and “the shores of Tripoli”

It was very fascinating!

Dave

Oyster Diver:
Shadow Divers was very entertaining. I also liked Dark Descent about the Empress of Ireland and Last Descent about the u-who.

If you are interested in some wrecks that are closer to home and easier to dive you should check out The Raising of the Queen by Jerry Korn or Until the Sea Shall Set Them Free by Robert Frump. Korns book is about raising the stern section of the African Queen (the bow section is still on the bottom). Frumps book is about the sinking of the Marine Electric. I haven't read either books, but have heard good things about them and after diving on both wrecks I am interested in learning more about their story. Hope this helps.

Hey thanks! I'm actually diving the African Queen in a few weeks. Maybe I'll get a little preview of what I'm going to see.

I'm completely hooked on Shadow Divers at this point, I've had to force myself to put it down so I can finish my Nitrox book for my class on Wednesday. For anyone else looking for something to read, here's the amazon.com review:

http://www.amazon.com/Shadow-Divers-Adventure-Americans-Everything/dp/0375508589/ref=pd_bbs_2/104-2446116-9515115?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1185213018&sr=8-2

DivingsInMyBlood:
ok here we go

nelsons purse

nelson a dream of glory (i got a few books of nelson, a hero of mine)

patrick o'brian (has good books on fiction from around 1800's, he did master and commander)

under the black flag

the silent landscape (1872 mission of hms challenger to explore the sea bed)

Those are a few of the ones sitting on my bookself, as you can tell im really into the age a sail.

Chris
Thanks for the list, Chris, I am also a Nelson fan :D . Haven't read some of those titles, so Powell's Books here I come.

Have you read any of the Hornblower series by CS Forester? Some very good books about Brit Navy during Nelson's time and just after.

When I get home, I'll add a few titles I have regarding actual wrecks, just that the titles aren't coming to mind. Need more coffee and sleep.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom