Good beginner set-up?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WillAbbott

Reaction score
I'm just starting to buy all my gear. After I get and pay off my dry suit (had to be first item of course :)) I was looking at buying a computer (so I don't have to mess with tables, I do intend to work them when I can incase of computer failure I maybe able to continue diving, etc. but I would like to be able to go without tables for a few dives, because other divers I will dive with will be doing the same. Anyways.

The computer I'm leaning toards, for a first computer, is the Suunto Favor. My LDS sells it for $415 (I thought a little pricey), but thats the computer in a console, with pressure gauge and compass (in one of 2 configureations, I'm leaning towards the long 3gauge, with all gauge faces on same side).

After a short discussion with the guys they convinced me doing it in a console would be best, as any Dive Shop would mount it to a rental reg for me (most likely) so I can use it, then when I get my own reg I won't need to buy the console. However they have package deals (and would reconfigure one for me) thats basically the set-up I've looked at doing.

Its a SeaQuest Pro QD (weight integrated of course), with Aqualung Titan Reg, and a fairly nice analog SPG (one of thier higher end ones, not the bottom of the line one) and it may include a knife or some other little goodies...

Anyways, thats the BC I've looked at getting, and is the same reg we used in OW dives which I thought worked plenty well. Now they said we could do that package ($899) and switch the console for the computer console I want, and we'd be around $1000 or so (not bad I think, $400 computer and $500 BC with a $200+ reg) They also mentioned that for another $100 (so $1100ish total) I could upgrade to the Titan LX reg which they said breathes considerably easier (they do have it available for a demo I can try out, and I probably will)

So does this sound like a pretty good deal/set-up for begginging. Obviously it's not the nicest reg but I can upgrade later, etc. But seems to me like a good beggining set up and price for having everything except a small weight belt and tanks.

Basicallly $2000 and I can have all my gear (thats counting my dry suit I've bought already)

Any major problems why I shouldn't do this set up or why I should change to a better reg or what not? I figure if I go help my dad at his school for even one class a month I can have the money to buy this set up within the next year (they already owe me $120 for web work so more like 10-11 months of helping) or I can help with both classes a month and be done in 6months.

Anywho. Seems like a pretty good set-up to me. I'd rather get a hold of my computer sooner than 1yrs time, but for only adding about $600 I'm getting almost all the rest of my gear, which seems good.

Ok well my posts keep getting way to long, let me know what you guys think, I'm sure I can get better deals online or what not, but I really like theese guys and want to continue to support them. They've been around a long time (since 1956), and have been a tremendous help to me.

Thx,

Read up on consoles versus wrist mount instruments.

Also, the Favor is a poor choice of computer - it operates in air-only mode - and is not nitrox-compatable. If you get nitrox certified (no reason not to), you'll either be back to diving tables permanently, or be in the market for a new computer.

I agree with the LDS & the LX. I have a Aqua Lung Cousteau with the Micra Adj second, and it's been excellent. Before getting that reg, I did most training and diving on Titan LX, and it was a good, reliable reg -- and very easily serviced. Don't know anything about Favor, other than the fact that it's their entry-level, air-only.

The computer I'm leaning toards, for a first computer, is the Suunto Favor. My LDS sells it for $415 (I thought a little pricey), but thats the computer in a console, with pressure gauge and compass (in one of 2 configureations, I'm leaning towards the long 3gauge, with all gauge faces on same side).

If I were doing this again, I'd do the following. Buy a Suunto Vyper wrist mounted from Leisurepro (I think I paid 299 for mine), along with a simple brass SPG (around $60) and a wrist mounted compass (probably another $60-70).

That should bring you in at about the same price, and you can easilly move to Nitrox.

I started with a Cobra air integrated computer, and bought the wrist mounted Vyper as a backup. It's reached a point where during the dive the Cobra is little more than an expensive pressure guage that my buddies can't easilly read.

Get a wrist mount computer, especially if you do not own a regulator. Consoles are nothing more than sea anchors. Besides, ataching a console to a rental regulator every time is a real PITA. It is probably worth the extra bucks to get a nitrox computer. Sooner or later you are going to want to use Nitrox, although I have to admit I did over 200 air dives before getting my Nitrox card.

Uwatec, Aeris and Suunto make wrist mount nitrox computers. They are all good and people around here could argue forever as to which is best. If I lost my Uwatec today, I am not exactly sure which one I would buy. The Suunto Vyper is the most conservative, followed by Aladin. Aeris (also sold under other brands like Oceanic) is the least conservative. Uwatec's do not have a user replacable battery, but their battery lasts a long time.

I would go with a Nitrox compatible computer. I would also wrist mount the computer and compass.

I just finished a week of diving in the Caymans with my wife (Patience on the board). When she started diving, she wanted everything on the console so that it would all be in one place.

After the trip, she asked me to change her console to wrist mounts so that she can see them easier.

Personally, I would check out a Suunto Mosquito. I paid less than $400.00 for mine. Its a great little computer that is wrist mounted, Nitrox compatible and very easy to use.

As for the BC, have you considered how much the BC will weigh when it has the weights in it. Personally, I find it to be a pain in the butt to change over tanks, particularly on a boat. I might recommend a weight harness (Andy's makes a nice one) and a non-integrated BC.

Finally, I endorse and agree with your support for the LDS if they are supporting you. I've walked out with more in free advice, parts and education from my LDS than I ever could have saved online.

Good Luck.

The $415 sounds a little steap for the Suunto Favor. I have a Favor, it came in a console with an spg. I removed the Favor and converted it to a wrist mount. I replaced it in the console with an analog depth guage. I also added a compass to the console.

The Favor is a good basic computer but is not Nitrox capable. I am in the process of selling the Favor because of the Nitrox issue. Used it's probably worth about $100. I plan to purchase a Suunto Viper. It will also be a wrist mount. Leisurepro has the Viper for about $280 (Wrist mount.)

I much prefer the wrist mount computer over the console version.

I also have the Aqualung Titan regulator. It's a good regulator. You can have them services anywhere.

WillAbbott once bubbled...
I'm just starting to buy all my gear. After I get and pay off my dry suit (had to be first item of course :)) I was looking at buying a computer (so I don't have to mess with tables, I do intend to work them when I can incase of computer failure I maybe able to continue diving, etc. but I would like to be able to go without tables for a few dives, because other divers I will dive with will be doing the same. Anyways.
<snip>
Thx,

Your choice of BCD and reg are good if you ask me. The choice of computer is debatable and the idea of putting in a console mount sounds like it has more advantages to your LDS than it does to you (they can dump their old stuff on you If I'm reading it correctly).

R..

Diver0001 once bubbled...

Your choice of BCD and reg are good if you ask me. The choice of computer is debatable and the idea of putting in a console mount sounds like it has more advantages to your LDS than it does to you (they can dump their old stuff on you If I'm reading it correctly).

R..

Well I wouldn't say they are trying to dump thier old stuff on me. Part of my requirement was inexpensive. He suggested a nitrox computer as well but for inexpensive it was the Favor, or some other Suunto (same price, different console that I didn't like as well, console or computer)

I did ask about wrist mount at first (which would cost less obviously) but he recommended a console one. I aggree changing it out on rental regs might be a problem, but it's more than likely I will buy the computer, reg, and BC at the same time now. I have to admit some of their ideas make sense to me. Why have a computer wrist mounted when you have to look at your SPG anyways... it makes sense to only look in one spot. However I noticed on my OW dives that a few times I glanced at my wrist as to look at a watch and rememberd, no I need to look at that thing hanging on my side.

I have to admit the prices of computers on Leisure pro is a drastic difference. Vyper for 274 misquito for $10 more. But I can't help but feel a sense of loyalty to buying from my LDS. As well as I thought I remembered there being a problem with buying Suuntos online/mail order, but I may be confusing product lines/companies.

I'm deffinately going to do some checking with my LDS as well. And I will be doing a dive in January (prior to buying gear) and will be renting a computer, will see how its mounted (I'm assuming it will be a console) and see how I like it. I also thought about doing just an air computer for now (I do plan on Nitrox later, when I don't know) and then when I do nitrox getting a new computer and that will give me a spare for air dives (will have 2 computers, one backup) and for nitrox I will not have a back up.

I don't know though. All your oppinions are greatly appreciated. LIke I said I had thought about and leaned to a wrist mount for a few reasons. 1: if it fails I still have a Depth gauge in my console, and might be able to contiune the dive (on tables) 2: I seem to naturally look at my wrist to see time left/etc.

As for getting it in the console. because I've got to look at my air pressure anyways. but that means if the computer fails I have no depth gauge. I also have leaned towards some day having 2 computers (a primary and back up) wether they both be Nitrox, or diff computers. or the same matters not.

Next time I'm in the LDS I'll talk to them a little more in depth about it and possibly get some more solid numbers, for different configs. Like what if I do it wrist mount but get the rest of the gear. or stepping up a computer or what not. And I will compare that to getting thier package and a computer from leisure pro... etc...

Keep the advice/ideas comming though. :D

Where to start...

$415 for a Favor is crap. I've dove one, and even with all the loyalty in the world to my LDS (and I have quite a bit), I wouldn't buy one for that much.

Do the wrist mount, it makes ascents easier. This is from practical experience, not B.S. LDS recommendations (they still occasionally try to get me to console mount stuff - even after I've done it in the past). The best console mounts I've seen were on retractors... does the additional cost justify itself? The additional hassle of having to remount on a console for rented regs?

An additional benefit of wrist-mount is being able to carry your nitrogen load info with you on your SI. Especially if you get something like the Suunto Mosquito.

I really, really hated how the Titans breathed. It could have been due to only breathing well-used rental units, but they breathed wet and poorly, and tended towards freeflows. But anyway, with regs, very often you'll get what you pay for. If you know the regs performance and are happy using it to save a few bucks, no sense in discussing it much.

If your LDS is selling the SeaQuest for $500... well, that's the cost of a good backplate/wing setup. Especially if you're going to be needing to get to drysuit valves (not sure how your suit is setup), a wide-open front might be nice. There is a lot of information about this flexible, high-performance setup on the boards. It'd be a waste for me to repeat the themes (just click "search"), but if you talk to your shop about this option be prepared for some "its only for tech divers" "its too expensive" "its not as comfortable as a jacket" crap. Obligatory Note To Other Board Dwellers: I was just mentioning the option, I swear, lets not get into another long, drawn out, 10 page thread about BP/Wings vs. Jackets, k?

Will - another thing, since you've already committed to (or got) a drysuit, it sounds like you really want to be in this for the long haul. Lossage occurs in the crap gear->ebay->good gear cycle, so please really, really consider getting good gear first. Do it a bit at a time if it is too much of a financial pain (my purchases were spread over last dive season, and I'm not done yet), but you don't seem to be a warm-water reef-only diver who's just buying gear because he has too much money.

Just a thought,
jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom