Golf or diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fins:
I'd say diving

In golf, I can go out and practice on my own or pickup a quick lesson from a local pro. I can easily golf several days in a row, and you golfers know that when you play several days in a row you get much better.

In diving, I can't go practice on my own. I need a buddy. If we are to head to a pool for practice we can only do so certain evenings, at certain times. If we heading out to the local lake, or quarry...well there's the drive time, getting tanks filled etc. And there is the cost. As expensive as golf is, diving "can be" much more expensive.

Anyway, don't know if I added anythign to this thread or not but what the heck. Let's go paly 18 and then do a night dive :D

Interesting points. Do you think it's reasonable to equate a bad slice with bad buoancy control? And if so, which is harder to solve? Like you said, both require the time put in to practice. A bad slice is generally a fundamentally bad, outside in swing, starting from a bad (weak) grip and or not a full, 90 degree turn backswing. This is hard to change unless you can see yourself and really, really work on it. For me, and I did change my swing to where I now naturally draw the ball, it was a lot more time spent (actual hours practicing) than it took me to hover easily while diving.
With an 8-10 handicap, you're much better than average. (you do hit a provisional on an OB and don't just drop one in the fairway if you can't find it, hitting three?:D )

Hank49:
Interesting points. Do you think it's reasonable to equate a bad slice with bad buoancy control? And if so, which is harder to solve? Like you said, both require the time put in to practice. A bad slice is generally a fundamentally bad, outside in swing, starting from a bad (weak) grip and or not a full, 90 degree turn backswing. This is hard to change unless you can see yourself and really, really work on it. For me, and I did change my swing to where I now naturally draw the ball, it was a lot more time spent (actual hours practicing) than it took me to hover easily while diving.
With an 8-10 handicap, you're much better than average. (you do hit a provisional on an OB and don't just drop one in the fairway if you can't find it, hitting three?:D )

I'd compare a bad slice to bad trim (instead of bad bouyancy cause bouyancy is easy to fix...just practice a little, especially ascents and descents, and use your senses). While both a slice and trim are mechanical issues you really have to see/feel what you're doing wrong in order to correct it.

Do I hit a provisional or drop? Depends on the situation. If I'm playing in any kind of competition, (tournament or a casual / or not so casual bet) I hit the provisional. If the course is really busy and I'm just playing a casual round I'll just drop and hit three.

Mike Veitch:
i would love to go golfing!!!! i miss golf... darn small tropical islands.... :D

Oh, you really have my sympathy...NOT! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom