Golf Ball Recovery Divers Needed/U.S.-Inland

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
For two routes at this time: The state of Michigan and to service accounts from St Louis, MO to Las Cruses, NM (via KS, OK and TX). For specific details, please see www.underwatergolfball.com. Click on the "diver". You will be diverted to a templete to be completed by you, which provides your profile to me. I would love to answer any questions, but please read the site first which should answer the majority of your questions. This will make life for both of us much easier!

that water is a friggin cesspool of nastiness. I know guys who do this stuff on scuba which is insanity on a few levels.

I love the part about how the divers working for this outfit are "starting (their) own business" and will receive a 1099-MISC form each year. These divers aren't independent contractors in any sense of the term (certainly not by the IRS' definition) and they, and the golf ball retrieval company would likely not fair well if audited by the feds.

I love the part about how the divers working for this outfit are "starting (their) own business" and will receive a 1099-MISC form each year. These divers aren't independent contractors in any sense of the term (certainly not by the IRS' definition) and they, and the golf ball retrieval company would likely not fair well if audited by the feds.

Why is that. I got a 1099 for my Golf ball diving work for years. They would tell me what day to dive and where and I worked solo, with my own gear, own vehicle, counted them and bagged and tagged them in my garage and then dropped off balls once a week. What about that arrangement is conflicting with a private contractor?

Why is that. I got a 1099 for my Golf ball diving work for years. They would tell me what day to dive and where and I worked solo, with my own gear, own vehicle, counted them and bagged and tagged them in my garage and then dropped off balls once a week. What about that arrangement is conflicting with a private contractor?

Commercial diving is one of those industries where you can't exempt out of Worker's Comp unless you form a corporation. So, when they pay you as a contractor, and can't prove that you carried Worker's Comp or provide an exemption for workers comp, the admin people of WC tend to arrest first and ask questions later. I loved seeing that happen in the construction industry. -- If you don't believe me, just call up the Worker's Comp admin and ask. They love to find employers not paying that stuff.

So, At least here in FL, a few things have to happen. First, I would have to create a LLC or INC. Then I have to submit the form to the agency responsible for exempt myself from Worker's Comp. That fee used to be $35. I have no idea what it is now. Then I have to get an occupational license for the city my corp resides in. Also, I might be required to get an occupational license at the county level. Some municipalities require me to have this license for every city I work in. Which is dumb. Then, I have to sign the I9 from the employer stating that I know that I'm getting a 1099 at the end of the year.

You see, like the good boys in the key's figured out a few years ago, you can't just arbitrarily say, "poof, you're a contractor and here's your 1099". If you ever reported that improperly issued 1099, the IRS takes a pretty close look and the fines start flying.

So does that include any diving for which you get paid? How about a divemaster? How about photography?

Actually, a dive shop owner in Key Largo recently got in trouble for exactly that Dumpster. He was paying DM's, Instructors and Captain's as contractors. He got in a bit of trouble. :)

No, I really wasn't the one who reported him.

Man oh man.... You guys just ruined my dream of diving with my wife and making tons of money with little to no work.... I even had a thong bikini planned with golf balls over the good parts to make golfers swing for the pond to get a better look at her....... Guess We'll need to work a few more years....

Jim...

The IRS definition of an "Independent Contractor" says (amongst other criteria) that the independent contractor must legitimately be in the business and offer their services to others. Which means before you go to work for Acme Golf Ball Retrievals, you must already be in business as DumpsterDiver's Golf Ball Diving Service and be advertising that service to others. The way the OP's company is working it, their divers are (in the eyes of the IRS) more technically "employees," but of course, they aren't being reimbursed that way. Saves the OP's company a boatload in taxes and health insurance.

The IRS definition of an "Independent Contractor" says (amongst other criteria) that the independent contractor must legitimately be in the business and offer their services to others. Which means before you go to work for Acme Golf Ball Retrievals, you must already be in business as DumpsterDiver's Golf Ball Diving Service and be advertising that service to others. The way the OP's company is working it, their divers are (in the eyes of the IRS) more technically "employees," but of course, they aren't being reimbursed that way. Saves the OP's company a boatload in taxes and health insurance.

There have been a few prosecutions of 'golf ball' divers in the UK. These have been raised under two aspects:

1. Health & Safety Executive interest - Working as a commercial diver without qualification or the mandatory surface support.
2. Inland Revenue interest - Evasion of Taxes from undeclared earnings.

Number 2 is the most damaging as once on HMRC's radar its a minimum of 10 years before the Tax return requests stop. And that's only if they don't find any ambiguities in that time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom