Goldentail Moray?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bmorescuba

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Trying to confirm that this first picture is a Goldentail Moray. I've never seen one before, and I didn't have much time to see this one. It was quite small - probably 10-11 inches total length. I was fascinated and only had time for this one snap. I saw green morays and spotted morays on this dive, but this one looked quite distinct from those.

All photos: July 2010
Palm Beach, Florida, USA
~50fsw

The second photo I snapped thinking it was just an interesting trumpetfish, but when I got back and started working with the photo, I now think it's a Bluespotted Cornetfish, mostly due to the description of the tail in Humann/DeLoach (and the blue spots...)

The third pic I'm fairly sure is a loggerhead - the DM seemed sure. What was amazing about this turtle was how gigantic it was. No kidding - almost 6ft. nose to tail. The person in the pic is for scale. He is NOT hunting turtles. He was looking for hogfish. I prefer to hunt with the camera.

I wish the pics were clearer but the viz wasn't great and this was the best my canon point and shoot could muster.

Thanks for any confirmations.

Attachments

• IMG_4095.jpg
    IMG_4095.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_4152.jpg
    IMG_4152.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_4113.jpg
    IMG_4113.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 53
You have them correct as goldentail moray, bluespotted coronetfish, loggerhead.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom