gold diving??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not to mention the silting in of the major rivers and San Francisco Bay.
Ah yes Hydro Mining at it's finest in California destroyed our river systems all the way to the San Francisco Bay hundreds of miles away. So glad they banned it, too bad it wasn't soon enough, since species like the Green Sturgeon are now all but gone. Plus they destroyed mountains with their hydro mining systems.

We were at the Empire Mine outside Grass Valley over Presidents Day, doing a gold mining tour throughout the Sierra's.

The Bering Sea Gold show is fascinating for the most part because the divers are generally inept. Makes you wonder why there are not larger commercial operators up there with real hard hat divers working?

I have thought the same thing. Why are their people on these floating doors trying to dredge when there are other vessels that are actually seaworthy that you could purchase and modify. Another thing is these divers have no clue what they are doing, I wonder if there have been any accidents, incidents or deaths related to people dredging. Example, being on the bottom, no one topside and rocketing to the surface when your compressor is starved of fuel.

Ah yes Hydro Mining at it's finest in California destroyed our river systems all the way to the San Francisco Bay hundreds of miles away. So glad they banned it, too bad it wasn't soon enough, since species like the Green Sturgeon are now all but gone. Plus they destroyed mountains with their hydro mining systems.

We were at the Empire Mine outside Grass Valley over Presidents Day, doing a gold mining tour throughout the Sierra's.

Malakoff Diggins is an impressive state park where you can really get an idea of how big the hydraulic mining was. They washed away mountains

Malakoff Diggins State Historic Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have thought the same thing. Why are their people on these floating doors trying to dredge when there are other vessels that are actually seaworthy that you could purchase and modify.
Because it's a TV show, and it wouldn't be interesting if they showed a bunch of well-equipped professionals calmly going about their jobs without incident. If you think what you're watching is real and unscripted, I've got a bridge to nowhere to sell you.

I didnt say that what everything i saw on there was unscripted or real, but you wouldnt catch me on a lake on some of those rigs let alone the open ocean.

Malakoff Diggins is an impressive state park where you can really get an idea of how big the hydraulic mining was. They washed away mountains

Malakoff Diggins State Historic Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I would like to go there and see it for myself. Plus it sounds like some nice hiking. Bummer that I will probably never get the chance since it is one of the California State Parks slated for closure.

It does seem all these shows are staged. The one with the guys going to Africa to dive for gold was bad. They said they had a boat coming close to them at night and thought they were bandits. BUt the editor didn't cut fast enough and you see the RIB that was theirs. They did the hand getting caught in the intake. Then blood. Well if the pump was taking water in then the blood wouldn't be seen. It would be seen on the boat being sucked up. It was all composited in. PLus the shark and the blood around the diver. I know because I do that for a living. Bering Sea Gold, Under the Ice has to be staged and making diving look like any one can do it with any make shift gear. I went onto the Facebook page for this show tonight and made a comment and some non diver got all upset saying it's not rocket science and is easy and even if they get hurt why do you care. Waiting to see what he says at my reply to this. There has been a lot of deaths of extremely novice divers up there. Be interesting to see what DAN has on it. The Sept 7th show showed so much dangerous diving and close calls that I think DAN or some big group should tell the producers to smarten up.

its the same reason they will never make a show about truckers driving around the northeast in the winter time. they don't want to see compident professionals working they want to see idiots fu*king up!

Because it's a TV show, and it wouldn't be interesting if they showed a bunch of well-equipped professionals calmly going about their jobs without incident. If you think what you're watching is real and unscripted, I've got a bridge to nowhere to sell you.

Example, being on the bottom, no one topside and rocketing to the surface when your compressor is starved of fuel.

There is a way to do it but not something I would recommend, just key the comm box on so you can hear the compressor running while you are diving.

Back
Top Bottom