gold diving??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's some info from treasurenet, they have a gold prospecting area

24' Dredge

You need to have a claim to mine in alaska for commerical aspests and that is a pile of paper work and a lot of money is involved. For recreational gold panning there are limits on gear. The gear must be light, shovels and hand tools are permited, dredges are allowed but must be small and light also a permit is required.

Thanks Tristan. I was just thinking about it in a recreational aspect. I live in Utah I use to work at Cabelas and would talk to people that gold pan here and so I looked at some things online and have been curious for a while and then the show on tv started and got me more interested in it. I was just thinking about a small dredge for rivers and such just to see what I could find. But Alaska as always interested me.

It's not hard to get the rec permit. I have gone panning and have found a bit of gold but you don't have to dive in a river since most of the gold deposits hang in shallow areas that allow the gold to drop out. This is usually behind boulders, in pools, vegetation, and along the bottom/sides in the head waters.

The Bering Sea Gold show is fascinating for the most part because the divers are generally inept. Makes you wonder why there are not larger commercial operators up there with real hard hat divers working?

The Bering Sea Gold show is fascinating for the most part because the divers are generally inept. Makes you wonder why there are not larger commercial operators up there with real hard hat divers working?
There's most likely a commercial operator but how entertaining would watching competent divers be?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom